Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sundance...

I'm really not into the old 'pile as many diamonds as I can onto my left hand' approach to engagement and wedding rings. Aside from the dubious ethics involved in buying diamonds, it's just a bit, well, boring.

Any of these rings from Sundance Catalog would make gorgeous alternatives for couples looking for something more unusual....


Photobucket

Around The Pearl



Photobucket

Wafer Thin


Photobucket

Storm at Sea


Photobucket

Take Wing


Photobucket

Ocean


Photobucket

Good Things


Photobucket

Unpredictable


Photobucket

Courage and Hope
(because I love the name!)


Trying to find a wedding ring is driving me mad. First I fell for a gorgeous ribbon of a ring, a band that twisted twice round the finger before joining up again. I liked the symbolism - a continuous band symbolising the unending commitment, but with a twist in the middle. but the woman who made them was seriously unfriendly by email and I can't bring myself to give my money to people whose customer service sucks.


Then I decided that I wanted a plain white band, but super thin. But it turns out that unless you hammer them, à la Wafer Thin (above) they bend. I don't like hammered metal and I don't want my wedding ring to bend.


So I'm stuck. Going quickly mad in a world of sparkly stones and precious metals.....

11 comments:

  1. i'm not sure what the styling of your engagement ring is, but i just found my wedding ring which has a relatively thin band.

    both my rings are antique, and i found those rings all to be on the more 'dainty' side (likely because the focus is on the craftsmanship rather than on cramming as many diamonds as possible onto the ring!) i have small hands and so i needed thin rings. another bonus: antique platinum is still very affordable!

    photos of my rings here:
    http://itsloverly.googlepages.com/
    (scroll to the bottom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FEEL you on this. I posted about what we decided on here, though the picture does it no justice. Know what you want and the universe will provide, I say:
    http://practicalwedding.blogspot.com/2008/03/in-which-wic-makes-its-first-grab-at-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and agreed, nicole! min is also antique platinum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is a plain, platinum comfort fit band, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog! Love it. And I really like the super thin bands too. Good luck finding something you adore!

    And I agree, don't give your money to mean, awful people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to make things any harder on you, but have you seen the rings Sarah Perlis makes? I am in love with her rough cut diamond collection...

    http://shop.sarahperlis.com/collections/rings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually thought you'd be an art deco ring kinda gal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are all gorgeous! are they all antiques? if you're looking for another place to find Antique Wedding Rings, you might try here. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So... where are you up to now on the ring issue?

    Do you have an engagement ring? Have you posted pictures?

    And how's the wedding ring search going? And what about the boy?

    I just know you're going to choose some really beautiful pieces and I want to see them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, the ring issue has been a difficult one! The Boy and I both have our rings and I have to say, I think they might be a bit controversial! They were very, very cheap but The Boy's is perfect for him and mine is right for me for now. We just couldn't find/afford what we really wanted for me. I am very happy with what we got, but I think it might raise a few eyebrows. I'll write about it soon!

    I'll tell all about the engagement ring when I write about the proposal! It's an equally unconventional story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally! Someone who likes thin, elegant bands like I do. I am looking on http://www.gatheringguide.com right now for some rings like these in stores where I can try them on in person.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.