Sunday, July 06, 2008

A little diy project...

You might remember me saying that I don't do flats on special occasions? Yes? Well I lied. As with so many things over the last year I have changed my mind.

I am still wearing The Shoes, finding them was too much of an ordeal to abandon them now. Besides, they're pretty. But I'm starting to think that heels, all day, in the sun, outside might start to wear me down, so I started looking at flat sandals and as ever I had a shitload of requirements which made the task none too easy. They must be strappy, but definitely not flip flops. They must be glitzy but have no bling in claw settings, which would shred the lace on my dress. They must have a toe post and they must be comfy. Of course.

Well I found sandals that were flat, with straps in the right place and fitted like a dream but with sparkles that would rip the hem of my dress to tatters. Sandals that were perfect, but black. Sandals that were perfect, but painful to wear. Sandals that were perfect but painful to the wallet.

Then I fell for these, hard. They were $554. So I did what budget savvy women have been doing for hundreds of years, I made my own.....


Photobucket

I bought the sandals for £25 from Shellys,

Photobucket

And the rose is about a yard of silk ribbon from Cam Creations, which was $1.25.


It's just sewn on very loosely by wrapping the thread through and around the straps so it can be removed after the wedding as I think I prefer them plain for non-fancy wear.



Total cost, $52.50, total saving $501.50



(yes, there are two. I just took the pictures half way through.)



15 comments:

  1. You are one creative woman. I love the silk rose!

    I am trying to catch up on your posts, but wanted to say that I wish you the best in the run-up to the Big Day, the first of many memorable ones. With your ingenuity and flair, it should all go so very well. Sending best wishes to you and your beloved! May you have days to just enjoy and be giddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful. I like them better than the originals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your DIY projects inspire me. Keep them coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are prettier than the originals :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely better. And I always prefer one-of-a-kind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lately I've been thinking this is also the way I'll end up going... not only to save some dough but because I think the shoes I picture in my head do not exist in real life! :-( Thanks for the inspiration, these are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so crafty!! I like your version better, actually. I think the silver with the additional straps make them look a little nicer.

    And your photos of Eilidh & Brenden's wedding is JUST STUNNING! Wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! GS, East Side, Riley and Melissa - I prefer them too!

    Vanessa, thank you! It's so lovely to have you back.

    Jenna, I've got a few more projects up my sleeve yet!

    Miss Purple, shopping for the perfect shoes is a nightmare. Finding a good base and customising is definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously. Have you thought of just doing beautiful projects for a living? Oh that's right, you take beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful! love all your DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fabulous! You definitely need to make a career out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Dubbs and Style-ish!

    FF and Rebekah, I think about it all the time but I don't think I could do it on demand, I'm a fair-weather crafter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love that you made these! i semi-made my own shoes for my wedding too. you should check out our blog for pictures!
    -bahareh

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.