Friday, July 17, 2009



A hundred years ago I tried on a dress, it was brightest bright blue and I tried it on just for fun because I was in a grey mood and brightest bright blue seemed like it might help, even though I would never in many many years wear such a colour (such a colour is altogether too look at me for a girl who really isn't very look at me at all*).

I loved that dress, it turned out that I quite liked being look at me and that the colour perfectly suited my so-pale-it's-slightly-blue-and-oh-my-god-is-that-your-internal-organs-that-I-can-see? skin and dirty blonde hair. It make me all strutty and pouty and I may even have winked at myself in the mirror. Just a little. But alas, the dress was three hundred million and sixty two pounds and I was getting married and had just bought one rather expensive dress, a second one was really not justifiable, and so it went back on the hanger and with it went my strutt and my pout and I haven't seen them since.

This dress is the same colour. That perfect colour that I've been dreaming about ever since. That colour that I can't quite find the word for. And I want it. And it's reduced. And yet again I've blogged about it so yet again I'm not going to be able to buy it, sneak it into my wardrobe and tell the husband that it was such a bargain, only £10, reduced from £100 and wasn't I clever to snaffle such a deal!

Sigh.


* although I suspect that this might be changing. Last week I saw a girl in pink, leopard print skinny jeans and I thought, oooh, I like those, I wonder where I can get a pair? She had to be at least a decade younger than me though and for the first time in my life I wondered if I was just too old to be wearing such a thing. Which was depressing.



. dress by Rachel Comey, from Frances May
. photo courtesy of Frances May


13 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooooooh I love everything about that Frances May dress. Please purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. This is '80s blue. I had a dress...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, hon, I know what you mean about that never-letting-that-image-go! Surprisingly, maybe 10+ years ago, I was trying on prom dresses with my friends for a giggle, and tried on this neon green (or, perhaps "electric spring green", if you will?) floor length number, with OFF THE SHOULDER FEATHER TRIM. Mind you, this pre-feather-popularity days.

    And I fell in love. Ridiculous, right? This stayed in the back of my mind until maybe last summer -- when I got to ("got to?" haha, yes) purchase a similarly colored silk wrap dress as a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding.

    Um, color differences aside -- perhaps no deception is necessary, and i say GO FOR IT! And the boy will dig it, b/c you're so deliriously happy :) Or, if not this dress, I beg you, don't linger over this for 10+ years like I did :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. electric blue is my FAVORITE color!! it's so bold that everyone looks good in it. but, i know what you mean about being a girl who is not very "look at me". that's why i steer clear of red.

    p.s. out here, english cucumbers are the ones that are thinner and longer, like the size of your forearm. then, there's regular cucumbers. they are shorter and fatter. then there's persian cucumbers (at least, i think that's what they're called). those are very small. like the size of a hot dog. but, i'm thinking you guys don't have hot dogs, so this might be a silly point of reference...

    ReplyDelete
  5. fetching dress and i adore the color

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not too old for pink, leopard print skinnies.

    And oh wow that Bodkin Mesh Dress is so hot. I think 1991 might have been my golden age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. please never say you're too old for anything again. thx.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was funny! Wish I could write as well as that. Now I feel like I want a blue dress and shouldn't torture people with my blogging anymore. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee, just had to say I'm with you on the see-through skin. Want to know where my veins run? Let me SHOW you!

    Also, here's hoping the future brings you lots of clothes that instill wink-in-the-mirror confident swagger. We females could all use a little extra confidence now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't want to be an enabler, but in the grand scheme of things, the dress is not THAT expensive, and if it makes you feel like a million bucks, you will wear it until it's in shreds, which means that by the time you dispose of it the dress will have paid itself back five times over.

    This is what we call rationalization, but really and truly, I think you should get the dress. You're young and beautiful! Who needs to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this dress and the color is a perfect blue! Purchase it....it's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello gorgeous! This is an amazing find, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful dress! Oh the temptations... sometimes I think I should just walk with shutters next to my eyes like a horse!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.