Tuesday, August 05, 2008

it's all been too much...

...the late nights, the unreasonable demands, the incessant changes to projects previously deemed OK, the constant verbal (and threats of physical) abuse. They've taken their toll on my darling computer and it is no more, ceased to be, expired and gone to meet its maker. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, rests in peace. Its metabolic processes are now history. It's off the twig, it's kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible. It is in short, an ex-computer.

I am sitting here on The Boy's computer, bottom lip a-quivering, while he tries to revive mine. It's very kind of him to let me use it but it feels all wrong, like borrowing someone else's false teeth, it just doesn't fit.

There is no good time for that extension of your being to pack in, but the week before your wedding? Fucking great. There are countless things to be printed, countless images to use while arranging hair, flowers and decorations all stashed away on it. Emails to be answered, wedding elves to correspond with, sanity-restoring blog buddies to be connected to....

Dear computer, I know I've been pushing you a little hard, trust me I feel it too and if I could give up I would be sorely tempted, but I need you, I love you, please come back to me.... please.....

14 comments:

  1. I understand your pain and suffering...

    I had a melt down a few months prior to the wedding - the external hard drive that was store specifically for "all things wedding" became corrupted and became paperweight material. After many hours of mixed emotions (despair, anger, loss, etc.), I started over anew & forgo sleep for weeks, rebuilding a second pass at the perfect wedding creations.

    All I can say after it all is - I wish you a better fate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second time I've heard of a bride having her computer crash when it gets close to the wedding.

    I smell a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Peony, that sounds v stressful. I hope your boy is able to work the miracles that the Apple shop couldn't for my sister...

    I think I had better get round to the backing up that I keep meaning to get around too.

    On a lighter note - I bought 2 polystrene balls and some modelling wire tonight. Guess what I am working up the courage to attempt?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, all your sanity restoring blog buddies are still here, thanks to the web of tubes! Wishing you calm nerves. We all know what you know deep in your heart... your wedding is going to be calm and beutiful and imperfictly wonderful, with or without your inspiration images. We all can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no I hope you get it figured out!!! I might have a meltdown if my compy died just about any old time- no less right before the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. eekkss!! That is a scary situation you got there... I would be in tears... the thought really scares me. Making backup.. NOW. Let us know how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH NO!!! I would die if my computer did!! You poor dear! I hope the resurrection is a success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your computer comes back to life soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you crack me up. Poor thing

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is just awful! the death of a computer the week before my wedding would certainly have been the death of me.

    that being said, now's a good time to remind yourself that the real point of the day is to get married to your boy, and that will happen with or without any data you may have lost! the wedding will be beautiful, and you will be beautiful, i'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear God, this is one of my worst wedding-related nightmares. I'm taking a leave of absence from atheism for this one.

    ***makes sign of the cross and begins to mumble under breath***

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear of this tech predicament! Now sending positive vibes to cajole that computer back to life and to keep you from despairing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (fingers double-crossed!!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks girlies. Of all the wedding stresses I fear this might be the one to push me over the edge.

    Note to brides to be : BACK UP YOUR WEDDING PROJECTS. NOW.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.