Friday, October 31, 2008

Page 56

The fifth sentence on page 56 of Miss Manners Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behaviour reads;


'Let those dear people be, in their own happy world, and come and listen to some tough social truths from your very own Miss Manners.

You have heard, perhaps, of such advantages as beauty, brains, wealth or charm. Forget them. It may be accepted in your class that this person is "pretty" and that one "smart"; it may be known that one has a big allowance and another is always nice enough to share. In this age group, none of these characteristics has anything to do with popularity, and often they have nothing to do with the people who are supposed to have them.

The child who is thought good-looking is merely (often a plain one) who is smart enough to make people think so. '

I was tagged by Broke Ass Bride to share sentence five and the following sentences from page 56 of the nearest book to hand. I bought Miss Manners Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behaviour on the recommendation of our very own Miss Meg. After devouring Miss Manners on (Painfully Proper) Weddings I hastened to Amazon and bought another three of her books. This one is to be a Christmas present for a friend who believes that Debrett's Etiquette for Girls and the new Debrett's Guide for the Modern Gentleman should be required reading for all.


This meme had a second part, to list 6 things you value and 6 things you don't, but that's just one of those lists that I can't get my head around so I'm not playing that bit. Sorry!

Again, join in if this appeals, don't if it doesn't. Leave a comment if you do.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, see I didn't know that! That's so fantastic. I just registered for Miss Manners' guide to domestic tranquility (because I'll need that, you see, once we're married). She makes my list of all time great writers, I must say. I'm so glad you're enjoying her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, I'm absolutely in love with Miss Manners and so very grateful to you for introducing me to her. I don't suppose you'd like to be Peonies and Polaroid's Miss Meg? Answering wedding etiquette dilemmas from the world over? You would be so very fabulous at it!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.