Thursday, April 23, 2009

Poise and Elegance









I didn't love orchids until recently, until I started photographing them. Once upon a time I thought that they were showy, aggressive, a little vulgar (like lillies) if pretty nonetheless. Now I see them as sculptural, confident, purposeful and a little grown up. I find comfort in their poise and elegance and the orchid house at our city's botanical gardens is becoming my new ikea.

I have just uploaded these prints and a few others to peonies and polaroids: the shop. Peonies and polaroids: the shop has been a little neglected this month, truth be told I forgot it existed for a while there (bad photographer, bad) but hopefully it will forgive me and start sending me lovely little emails again telling me people want to send me money. I like those emails.

. photos by me

10 comments:

  1. for valentine's day a few years ago My Guy gave me an orchid...thus began my table-top orchid garden. I slowly started collecting them and when I moved to Costa Rica I went crazy and purchased 8 indigenous species (had to get all sorts of government documents letting me bring them to the US). They were beautiful - the blooms would be so spectacular - it brought such a lovely dimension to our home. Anyhow...about 8 months ago I attended an Orchid convention, purchased a new little pretty and introduced her to her new family. She gave everyone bugs and they all died. ALL DIED. (even my specially imported Costa Rican beauties). I think I may try succulents next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful photographs! I really love the colours and light in these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning!!!
    PS I really LOve your blog...always something beautiful to see, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those really are such gorgeous photos, really! I usually don't much like orchids, but these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a moment of madness while in the dreaded Ikea nearly a year ago I bought a cheap orchid, never thinking it would last - it has not stopped flowering in 12 months! at one point it had 28 blossoms on it - it's the miracle flower!Love your pictures as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. orchids are my favorite. They are so austere and sexy and sophisticated. You capture them perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love orchids. They are my favourite... I think they're quietly elegant and it feels like you've captured exactly that in your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the shop is looking lovely atm! high fives. i just gave it a tiny shout out on my blog. and i've never been an orchid fan, but some of your photos are quite convincing... i'm not 100% there yet, but they do have a certain sumthing sumthing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the first photo...the composition and colorwashed wall. When I beginning to experiment with photography, the textured, colorwashed walls in my kitchen were fabulous backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the new prints! purple orchids are so pretty. I wish orchids weren't so tricky to keep alive.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.