Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Archipelago Of Kisses



We live in a modern society. Husbands and wives don't
grow on trees, like in the old days. So where
does one find love? When you're sixteen it's easy,
like being unleashed with a credit card
in a department store of kisses. There's the first kiss.
The sloppy kiss. The peck.
The sympathy kiss. The backseat smooch. The we
shouldn't be doing this kiss. The but your lips
taste so good kiss. The bury me in an avalanche of tingles kiss.
The I wish you'd quit smoking kiss.
The I accept your apology, but you make me really mad
sometimes kiss. The I know
your tongue like the back of my hand kiss. As you get
older, kisses become scarce. You'll be driving
home and see a damaged kiss on the side of the road,
with its purple thumb out. If you
were younger, you'd pull over, slide open the mouth's
red door just to see how it fits. Oh where
does one find love? If you rub two glances, you get a smile.
Rub two smiles, you get a warm feeling.
Rub two warm feelings and presto-you have a kiss.
Now what? Don't invite the kiss over
and answer the door in your underwear. It'll get suspicious
and stare at your toes. Don't water the kiss with whiskey.
It'll turn bright pink and explode into a thousand luscious splinters,
but in the morning it'll be ashamed and sneak out of
your body without saying good-bye,
and you'll remember that kiss forever by all the little cuts it left
on the inside of your mouth. You must
nurture the kiss. Turn out the lights. Notice how it
illuminates the room. Hold it to your chest
and wonder if the sand inside hourglasses comes from a
special beach. Place it on the tongue's pillow,
then look up the first recorded kiss in an encyclopedia: beneath
a Babylonian olive tree in 1200 B.C.
But one kiss levitates above all the others. The
intersection of function and desire. The I do kiss.
The I'll love you through a brick wall kiss.
Even when I'm dead, I'll swim through the Earth,
like a mermaid of the soil, just to be next to your bones.

. The Archipelago of Kisses, by Jeffrey McDaniel. via Bridechka
. photographer unknown, via Le Love

16 comments:

  1. Oh that reminds me of a kiss on a path walking up to an old observatory to see Saturn, because he had no money but he'd still asked me out, with the lights of Newport reflected in the night sea beneath...

    *wanders off, smiling*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful, and oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful and some how I'm reminded of a movie line about kissing.

    "I have wasted thousands and thousands of kisses on you - kisses that I thought were special because of your lips and your smile and all your color and life. I used to think that was the real you, when you smiled. But now I know you don't mean any of it. You just save it for all your songs. Shame on me for kissing you with my eyes closed so tight."

    ReplyDelete
  4. geez! every time I see or read something even remotely sweet recently, I tear up. your blog and the poetry you post is fast becoming my #1 source for writing wedding vows. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite poems ever. Last winter, my best friend turned it into a piece of art as a beautiful wedding gift for me and my husband.

    I love Jeffrey McDaniel's work. I met him once at a reading and gushed like a schoolgirl. I think he thought I was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, love :) so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say thank you on behalf of my husband because I have a feeling he's going to get a lot of kisses tonight with this running around my head all day :*

    ReplyDelete
  8. and char's comment... liv tyler in that thing you do...one of my favorite quotes in a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you liked it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. jeffrey mcdaniels is my favorite poet. so witty, so beautiful, so truthful. great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh that was so sweet i went a bit gooey and sad at the same time. love your blog!
    x Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I got some cleats," she said. "Yes!"
    Fred reached into the caddy and pulled gone away from a two of a amicable of iniquitous close 21 Adidas cleats, ending the alma mater's interminable and frustrating trek to get on a match up of[url=http://www.uchristianlouboutin.com] Christian Louboutin[/url] shoes that could suited the women oversized feet.
    "Oh, this is subtle," Fred said as sje held the shoes in anterior of him. "I like this. I can't respite to put on fancy dress in them."
    She smiled again as she tried on the shoes and as members of the coaching organization took photos. The nose subsist with whom classmates reprove "Ruse Side" and "Ample Fred" no longer would reliable to rely on a zigzag strut of 5-year-old cleats that were at least a enlargement too small.
    "They chastise," Fred said.
    "And they look good, too," Burke said.
    The cleats arrived Tuesday via overnight transportation from Eastbay, a sporting goods troop based in Wisconsin whose officials had conclude from fro Tech's struggles to get [url=http://www.uchristianlouboutin.com/Cheap Christian Louboutin-slingback_c19]Christian Louboutin shoes[/url] repayment for Fred. As the week went on, more shoes arrived. [url=http://www.uchristianlouboutin.com]Christian Louboutin sale[/url] vending cut-price sent a pair of figure 20 cleats, and the Indianapolis Colts added three pairs of scope 19s that had been professionally stretched so they would applicable the sophomore's immensity 20 feet.
    "It feels like Christmas," Fred said.
    The corporate donations were impressive. Trustworthy more temperamental was the mountainous plush of remit that landed each epoch model week in Tech's athletic office. Dozens of envelopes came stuffed with checks and notes courteousness of people who had augur forth Fred and his train's ineptness to fit out the custom-made cleats he needed.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.