Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Homesick

It is a little known thing (here anyway) that I grew up on an island, a little island off the Atlantic coast of Scotland with big waves and big winds and white beaches and no trees. I moved there when I was 12. I told my Mum that by taking me from the city I loved she was ruining my life and that the only good thing about moving to The Island was that we would finally have to go somewhere else on holiday. I was a tad dramatic at that age, and wrong.




It wasn't always heavenly, it could be cold and desolate and inhospitable. The wind blew hard, relentlessly and sometimes fatally. The winters were long, the religion extreme and for many years you couldn't get a Sunday paper until Monday afternoon.



But when it was good it was very very good. When the sun shone, catching the silver shores or the golden grass it felt like heaven was within your grasp. When friends gathered on the beach for a barbecue with locally caught seafood or to fire handmade pots in peat fires then camped under skies filled with more stars than you could ever believe existed, even when the sky darkened and the wind howled and it was undeniable that you were the tiniest, most insignificant speck of life on a the tiniest, most insignificant speck of rock and sand and field, that was enough for your breath to catch in your throat and your heart to beat so fast you knew, really knew that you were alive.



And now, so many years later, having left for a life of opportunities all it takes is one piece of music that reminds me of days spent driving over never ending moors and nights spent twirling and whirling in the local hall, one picture shot somewhere that just might be my island or one faint smell of salt and seaweed and wind on the air and my heart is home again.


. images from the Autumn/Winter Toast catalogue.


31 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I am imagining the island from The Wicker Man and you as a pagan nymphette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful tribute to your home. i miss that feeling of really knowing you're alive. and hahaha to accordiansandlace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that island sounds fabtastic (typo, and i'm keeping it!). wish i was there right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this left me breathless.
    your words speaking of the islands beauty & harshness. your nostalgia. and that unmistakable vibrant sense of being.
    thank you (truly).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely description. I love both Scotland and islands, so I was right there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boy comes from an island like this, it's beauty is staggering. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautifully written post - it had me traveling to places in my childhood, too. Different geographically, but similar in experience nonetheless. Thank you - you took my breath away this morning.
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sounds like absolute magic. i want to go. any chance you could share the name of this island?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful piece of writing and the pictures you've chosen capture the romance of your words. Travelled right there, with you. Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He he he, couldn't agree more Accordions!!

    That's exactly what I was thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that sounds amazing! I feel like growing up in a suburb was the worst thing anyone could have done compared to living on a magical island.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, just by reading your words I think I was there for a minute, and it *was* heavenly. It also brought be back to my teenage longing and wonderful dreams of the UK while feverishly reading Wuthering Heights, and the like.

    You look STUNNING, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh sounds so lovely!!! I have such a clear image in my mind. So lovely for such a dreary wednesday...

    Ps gave you a kreative blogger award. see my blog for details

    ReplyDelete
  15. Though I know it's slightly different geography, 10+ years with Shelties has left us obsessed with the Shetland Islands. Our Sheltie loves to lean into the wind, which I imagine as a lingering impulse from deep within her ancestral memory.... Now, when I picture her distant relatives on that wind-swept northern beach, I will picture YOUR distant relatives right there alongside them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you make me long to be on a desolate windy island...beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautifully written. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, you have the most fabulously wonderful site here and I had to leave this comment for you ! Your posts are beautifully written, creative and original too, and you have interesting pictures.

    It's all perfect !

    Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes.... 'Happy September'....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I spent a lot of time in Argyll in my youth and although I am sure it's further south than your Island home you're description took me right back there - the taste, smell and feel of the wind. So evocative - thanks P!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was just wondering what Island you lived on. I spent lots of summers on Harris and my bf comes from Berneray. You described them to a tee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pagan nymphette! Pagan nymphette!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pagan nymphette! Pagan nymphette!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I second (or third) pagan nymphette.

    Such a beautiful, evocative post. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Was linked to this blog from A Cup of Jo, and man... this post made me fall in love with it on the spot. Congratulations, you've hooked another.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to visit that island.

    You know, when I looked through the latest Toast photos a few weeks ago, I thought to myself, Peonies could have taken these...

    ReplyDelete
  26. The reminds me...must get onto Toast and buy some things!

    x

    http://sevenweddings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. The reminds me...must get onto Toast and buy some things!

    x

    http://sevenweddings.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Read by a girl who grew up on an island on the other side of the world, I thank you for capturing the beauty that only those that have experienced it can know.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love love love this post. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I suffered from the same Dramatism. Told my dad when our holiday plans changed (I was twelve) that because I hadn't yet been to another country, it meant that I WOULD NEVER GO ANYWHERE INTERESTING EVER.

    Poor dad.

    ps: I have a jealous ... as usual.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.