Monday, September 28, 2009

Things I would like...



. an afternoon to bake cinnamon buns

. a day to bake brioche

. an afternoon to go and peruse the stinky cheese

. an evening to cook crepes and stuff them with tomato sauce, spinach and said stinky cheese before baking them in the oven then eating them at a candlelit table with my husband whilst listening to Woody Guthrie sing about plague and pestilence

. a day to shop for winter clothes. A woolly jumper (with sleeves and a length sufficient to keep my kidneys warm), thick tights, flat leather boots that don't leak, black trousers, a black scarf and a warm hat.

. a week to prepare myself for getting my hair cut. (I may need longer for this one)

. a day by the sea

. a weekend to throw out everything in our office that is not useful. Including, but not limited to, the spare computer, the empty fishtank, the pile of CDs neither of us have listened to since we were 15 and the video player that doesn't work because the rabbit ate through the cable

. a week to deal with the world of pain that is shopping for new glasses

. a week to shop for an apartment in New York (Lillian and Leonard go Stateside baby!)

. a month to throw out everything in our flat that is not useful. Including, but not limited to; three garden parasols, never used as we don't have a garden. Every pair of curtains that every member of both of our families have ever bought and discarded because they're horrible. A vast collection of offcuts of wood/chipboard/mdf/plywood that Might Be Useful One Day. Nine years worth of fashion magazines. Five years worth of interiors magazines. Four years worth of fishkeeping magazines. The spare toilet.

. a month to redecorate every room in said flat

. a week to knock down then rebuild my blog. I want to change just about everything

. a week to attend to the needs of my sadly neglected shop and perhaps coax it back into life

. a fortnight to lie in the sun with my husband and do bugger all

. a dog




. photograph by and courtesy of Penelope Jonze


30 comments:

  1. What, praytell, is a garden parasol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a lot of time....I did some major cleaning and throwing out yesterday

    hope you can do it at least in bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ambitious list, good luck! Your list is a little like mine actually. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suspect you speak for a lot of your readers with that list!

    I can help with the tights: Gap.

    And don't throw out Vogue. If you ever have a daughter she will be in heaven will old Vogues.

    (a garden parasol is a fabric sun umbrella which often pokes through the hole in the middle of a picnic table)

    ReplyDelete
  5. new york apartment? are you moving? it will be exciting to have Lillian and Leonard on this side of the Atlantic :)

    i think as you slowly work through that list, it will feel so good to cross them off :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please don't move to New York.. I have been in love with you Photos and I want Lillian and Leonard at my wedding! I'm just waiting to be asked.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh i have a to do list like this too. it makes me want to quit my job so i could cook all day and manage my household and life. it's amazing how i procrastinate on things other normal people can squeeze into their schedule like clothes shopping and cleaning. maybe i'll take a "sick" day next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WISH we were moving to New York! We're just going for a month though, a month to *pretend* that we've moved to New York.

    Amanda, it's what Rachel said - a garden umbrella. Want one? Or three?

    ReplyDelete
  9. brilliant! oh my goodness... i just added everything on your wish list to mine! I especially want to throw out all the junk!... 'how does it all accumulate?!' is my biggest question.

    ReplyDelete
  10. May I recommend these cinnamon buns? I made them this past Sunday and, oh me, oh my. They were divine!

    http://yourlittletspoon.blogspot.com/2009/09/buns-in-oven.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a pretty good list. if only there were time to get everything done like that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a list that's just as long but, though it's embarassing to say, my problem isn't a lack of time - it's a lack of motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh lovely. I have but one question. Why, since you know what needs to be thrown out from your place will it take one month? I can only imagine that's due to the days required to prepare for the emotional impact of throwage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LPC, there's just SO MUCH STUFF. And quite a lot of it is buried under bags of rubble and piles of floorboards and mountains of art work and stuff it's mixed up with things we do want to keep and and and....So Much Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could totally go for a day of just baking too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time, basically. Free time. Dream time. Time to actually get things done that I want to get done, rather than things that just need to be done. I'm right there with you.

    Big sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man WHY did you have to go and remind me of the Junk Room? It's seriously bad. You can't move in there without actually crawling over it all... and the trouble is, it's all masquerading as useful stuff we might need someday. Gah. Must try to make (as opposed to the usual, opposite state of affairs) £ on ebay.

    Gah.

    Nice atmosphere in the piccy :D

    Also, NY! Eeee! Too exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. peonies, can I suggest the delights of freecycle? people will take anything on there, it does involve randoms coming to your flat, but it also involves not squeezing parasols into a wheelie bin or driving to the dump, and its recycling...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a list like this, too, When I truly don't have time to work on it, being able to work on it sounds like the best thing in the world. Sadly, when I do have time (all too rare), suddenly reading a romance novel or taking a nap or even playing silly games on my mobile phone seems to take precedence. Well, except for the baking; I do seem to get to that because I so enjoy the eating that follows.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this was a nice list. it put little ideas into my little head. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. me too, me too, i want all these things too!

    cable knit sweaters and a blog overhaul!!

    ps: i set off a bug bomb in my room tonight and left for the night. currently spending the evening in nj, hoping the bugs are gone when i return!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have such a list, too...
    But what I am wondering about - you actually have a spare toilet that you can throw out? Isn't it mounted to the wall? Or is it standing in the living room for decoration? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best post I've read in a thousand years. I thought it was just me who was perpetually frustrated at never having enough time to do the things I want and need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just start. Purge. It is good for the soul. ...And apartment hunting in NYC - well, that should be loads of impossibly expensive fun. But fun, in a vicarious sort of way. :)
    Seriously, though. Just pick a room, a corner, a closet - whatever. And dive in. You'll feel so much better...
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love all of this. Note to self: incorporate the phrase "do bugger all" into daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, Peonies. Do tell us about the ornamental toilet ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. http://greenpointvacation.com/home.php

    that place is nice, in brooklyn, and available for rentals and it has a sweet little backyard if you're coming during warmer months. good luck with your month in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love your list! it reminds me to stop and smell the roses too as I work waaaaaay too much!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.