Thursday, February 25, 2010

Conversation in a pet shop {reposted}

A boy and a girl are in the pet shop, Boy had taken Girl to the pet shop to show her their new 'rescue' animal corner, populated with (you'll never guess...) animals that need re-homed.

Boy: Look, there's Max, the rabbit I was telling you about. Isn't he lovely?

Girl: Oh my goodness! Look at the rat! He's a rex! Oh isn't he lovely? He likes me! (she squeals as an adorable rat rushes over to the front of his tank and starts sniffing at her fingers through the edge of the door)

Boy; That's not a rex (unsaid: you idiot). That's a bald rat.

Girl; No it's not, it's a rex, look his head's fluffy...

Boy; Yeah, but the rest of him is bald...

Girl; Oh dear lord, it's a bald rat! Can we have the bald rat? Pleeeeease? I lovvvvvve him. Love him love him love him! Who else is going to want a bald rat? How much does a rat house cost?




Now I know that you get fancy, intentionally bald rats but I'm pretty sure that this was a special needs rat. He did not look nearly as chipper as this fella, in fact he looked downright dreadful. I'm in love. After musing that I really do have a thing for the completely buggered ones, The Boy is wondering if I only took him home because I knew no one else would have him.

Unfortunately we didn't come home with a bald rat. Our vets bills for the rabbits are already exorbitant, we just can't afford another critter. But damn did I love that rat.

(image source)

10 comments:

  1. I happen to know that you edited this post. Hmmmmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's with all this reposting anyway? are you on VACATION?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *chuckle* a bald rat. poor dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, as a child i had a 3 legged rat. (he didn't start out that way)



    (did i say that the first time?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two rats & I could not imagine life without them! Neither are bald...but incredibly cute, nonetheless. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did the special-needs rat thing once. He was wonderful and sweet and adorable and the STINKIEST creature I ever met.
    Rest in peace, little rat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bald rat was pretty cute. I think N missed out on a great opportunity.

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never guessed how much can veterinary service for rabbits cost! Neither about rats.
    My old cat is now 18 and we spend about only $300 for her medically treatment during past years.
    Is your bunny seriously deseased or are vets too expensive in Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  9. nom nom rat. If he were mine, he'd have a tiny rat sweater for each day of the week. He'd still be bald, but at least he wouldn't be NAKED.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.