Wednesday, September 22, 2010

.



We photographed our last wedding until March this weekend and I can't tell you how relieved I am. I'm 32 weeks pregnant with twins, and since the first day twins were mentioned almost everyone has delighted in telling me how often they arrive before 32 weeks. The people who haven't been revelling in telling me that they often come before 28 weeks that is. And if it hasn't been tales of early delivery it's been assurances that most women with twins are prescribed bed rest at 28 weeks. At 28 weeks we still had four weddings to go. Needles to say, I've been shitting myself.

But we made it. And now all I've got to do is sit in front of the computer editing photos until Widdle and Puke decide to arrive. (Please to the God of unforgiving desk jobs, let it be long enough to edit 7 weddings, please please please). Because although Lillian and Leonard is a joint business and in theory N and I share the work evenly, in recent months our household has had a dramatic shift in labour division. Business-wise, I have been doing everything except photographing weddings and bookkeeping by myself while N battles a ticking clock to make our house habitable for our expanding family. I edit photos and answer emails and design albums while he climbs ladders and plasters walls and hangs wallpaper. Other stuff like cooking and cleaning is dealt with by whoever is still standing at the end of the day. It works for us. For now.

Once the babies are here we still have to keep the business ticking over, answering emails and designing wedding albums for this year's couples but no more actual weddings until March. MARCH! That's six months from now. SIX MONTHS! By March I'm pretty sure we'll be missing it (we do actually kind of love our job) but in the meantime we're so looking forward to six months off, six glorious months to prepare for and then spend time with W&P, trying to figure out what the hell we're doing and how to look after TWO BABIES.

Every day I am grateful that we are able to do this, that we are able to take this time together to readjust to our new family, because I know that most people can't. That even if you're lucky enough to be able to take time off your work, you're likely going to be doing it alone. Alone and unpaid, if you're lucky enough to live in The Land of Opportunity. And my heart aches for you.

While we won't exactly be paid (I might be eligible for a tiny amount of maternity 'allowance' from the government, there's no such thing as paternity allowance) and we've had to live a frugal existence over the last year so that we can save enough money to keep living a frugal existence through winter this year, I know that we're damn lucky to be in a position to do this. Damn lucky and damn determined. Because it's what we've been working for, since we started the business. In fact it's why we started the business - a life where we can make our family our priority. Our family that started with four, shrunk to three and now becomes five.


*photos by Rummey Bears


27 comments:

  1. One: Who is that baby and where can I find one?

    Two: You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.

    Three: And if you're as insane as my brother and sister-in-law, you will love having twins so much that you will have a THIRD baby, stuff them all in the same room, and hope for the best.

    Four: You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe look at that cutie pie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so excited for the two of you, my beloved people-farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. shooting weddings while in your third trimester and pregnant with twins is about the most hard core thing I've ever heard of and you are my wedding photographer super hero. seriously.

    also I love the way you write the way you curse and your pictures. just thought I'd mention that too.

    Sending positive thoughts and energy and luck your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what post you intended to write, but I loved this one.

    <3 <3 <3 and big hugs to y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you guys and know that you will be just fine with your amazing expand-o family. I can't wait for the W&P photos!da

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's v cool that you're both able to spend 6 months with Widdle and Puke! Frugal for a fun reason (maybe that should be 'important' or 'big' reason?) is always easier as you know why you're doing it. You promise to still blog in amongst it all right? You know we need to see pics of the family of five x

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay for being able to spend those months together. you may be insane from the lack of getting to go to work but it will be the best time together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly Rummey Bears is one of my most favourite blogs. Seriously cute and their baby must be the best dressed kid on the block! So fab picture selection!
    Secondly, I agree with Lauren and you are a total super hero. Major bonus points for you.
    And thirdly you two will be awesome and your babies will be luscious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm, I'm a little drunk (have to get that out of the way to excuse whatever crap I may write) but wow a wedding in your third trimester. Two babies very soon and SIX months off! Awesome (as I've heard they say the other side of the pond...)

    I think (hope and pray) all will be absolutely fabulous for you and N and look forward to hearing more about it. Much love and hugs, M xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh, you guys are going to be the best parents! widdle and puke will be so lucky to have you all to themselves for their first 5-6 months, and for the rest of their lives as well. xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU MADE IT. You'll keep on. And it will be Wonderful.

    Love love love love love each & every one of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm breathing such a sigh of relief for you, dear. You made it! You are one tough lady. W&P can be proud.

    Enjoy that time off! And, yes, you can do this. We'll all be there with you, if not in real presence, at least in thought and encouragement and advice (only if you actually request it, obviously). You'll be amazing parents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you pretend you didn't have a TOPIC or something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Without sounding completely trite. Please know that you are not alone.

    You will be more than fine.

    P.S. There will always be people who will offer help, please accept!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys are going to be amazing, and I'm so glad (especally with two) that you get the time off you deserve to learn and adjust. It's going to be fun and scary and mostly just amazing.

    And you're a trooper my dear. Why don't you reward yourself with some cake?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll be just fine.

    But remember, it's ok not to cope some days. Some days it's ok to sit and cry and feel like you can't cope and that the mountain is just tooooo huge. But everything always seems better after a bucket of tears and snot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is such a cute baby, I hope your pregnancy will go well

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm determined to find this time. and i'm very jealous of yours. we have 4 months to figure out how we can both take time to recover and get used to being a family of 3 without moving into a cardboard box.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so so excited for you two! I hope that W & P wait in the womb until you are done editing, even though there are so many people (me included) waiting to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. you can do it. and we are here with you. thinking of you and listening whenever you need. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah what a pair of superheros, your eyes must be going square from all that computer work.

    It's going to be so good having N around while you learn how to juggle babies :D - Richard had to go back to work after a week and it sucked balls.

    I don't know why I'm even mildly surprised you read Rummy Bears too, one of my favourite blogs, and the photos are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have my fingers crossed that you get those weddings edited too! :) p.s. when people see you in our photos they are shocked and mightily impressed that you showed up, let alone traipsed around for 10 hours. You're very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope this doesn't come off as creepy since I don't know you at all, but TWO BABIES!!

    Ohmygoodness, that sounds like the sweetest, most lovely thing ever and you are going to have such fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoy those 6 months together! I am laying in bed with my 1 week old baby wishing my husband was here to see all her cute faces she is making. You are going to be great parents! (and now I am crying- I had a baby a week ago, that is what I do)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want to tell those people to suck it. Seriously. Telling a pregnant person about "things that might happen" is one of the worst things.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was looking at those pics and going 'That looks like Rummey Bears' baby. Huh. Maybe all tiny babies look like that.' No. They don't. I am an idiot.

    It kills me that your babies are called Widdle and Puke. Awesome. Gerald Durrell is a gem. And so are you.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.