Wednesday, July 06, 2011

the camera whisperer

"This is what you do on your very first day in Paris. You get yourself, not a drizzle, but some honest-to-goodness rain, and you find yourself someone really nice and drive her through the Bois de Boulogne in a taxi. The rain’s very important. That’s when Paris smells its sweetest.  It’s the damp chestnut trees."
Audrey Hepburn as Sabrina






Remember when I said I was going to start using my Holga again? I didn't.  Partly lack of time to figure it all out, mostly fear that I will get all excited about it and the photos will turn out looking like a Scottish sky; uniform grey, maybe with a patch of darker grey in one corner. In other words, like exactly all my previous Holga photographs.  
I long to take pictures like these by Debs Ivalja but having played with a Holga before they seem like the result of some sort of wonderful dark magic. She who can make such beauty with such a piece of plastic crap is clearly a Camera Whisperer.  
Photographs by Debs Ivalja. 

8 comments:

  1. great quote. love the first picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sabrina is my favorite movie.

    and these photos make me feel daydreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holga + Eiffel tower = how you doin'?

    I have a diana, how hard can it be? Really hard as it turns out. So far the only difference is they come out square. no artiness.com.

    I feel better knowing that even the pro's struggle. That's you i mean, not Debs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see my holga pictures yet. They are ok, not quite like these though. I thought the colours would be brighter....I think it sounds like an excuse to go to Paris! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to finish the film in my Holga. And in my Diana. I have no idea how they'll come out, but oh! if they'd look even half as dreamy as these! (Those second 2 are absolutely gorgeous.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. try try again! It'll be magic! Take it with you to France for fun. Film is for vacations. Holgas were made for the beach. Your pictures are already so beautifully dreamy anyway, I feel that Cara + Holga would make my brain explode (plus scanning them means that you can still fuck with them in photoshop should they start off on the flat side).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the black and white photos.. a great vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer yours.

    kitty xxx

    Sorry I haven't been in touch there is a reason,it's just hard to write to explain.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.