Monday, April 30, 2012

alligator, buffalo, caterpillar...

It's not something that people tell you but kids mostly don't care about toys. Not as babies anyway. They've been into books for a while but that was about it. A couple of months ago they started (very occasionally) giving a cuddly toy a quick squeeze before hurling it across the floor. Over the last few weeks they've got really into playing with a ball and we can get a pretty excellent game of 2-a-side football going these days but mostly the things that they really like playing with aren't toys at all; fridge magnets, tea bags, remote controls, usb cables, pine cones. 
Except. These animal cards that we were given by one of our best ladies. The girls LOVE them. (They love Rooster so much that they ate him). For ages we were kind of precious about them, trying to stop the girls from sitting on them and squashing them a little in their enthusiasm but then we just let it go, sat back and enjoyed watching them have an absolute ball with what has to be one of their favourite presents ever. 


(we get their pyjamas on ebay where they're ridiculously cheap. We would never ever dress them this pinkly if we were leaving the house. Just so you know.) 

21 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love your rug. Secondly I'm glad you don't pink your babies up. We've put Amelie in a couple of pink things we were given and she looks at us as if to say 'I don't think so'. And thirdly, I'm also glad you say babies don't really care about toys. I was feeling guilty the other day that our 2 week old has nothing to play with. Now I realise how absurd that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you! I love the rug too but it's a pain in the arse, the edges curl up constantly. And she really, really, really won't care about toys for the longest time, I promise!

      Delete
    2. Oh, our 6mth old doesn't care at all about the toys really - the only issue at hand for him is whether he can put something in his mouth.

      (i got him his first proper toys when I realised I had a friend coming over for a 'playdate' and 3mth old kiddo was being entertained by (i) a lemon and (ii) one of those turquoise shower puffs -- because they're *developmentally stimulating*, honest guv.)

      Delete
  2. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

    You guys better watch out. Next time I get my hands on these ladies, I might just eat THEM. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cards are awesome. Time for me to get purchasing them for the nieces and nephews who have recently arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the cards and your girls are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - just made an impulse purchase! Haven't told Unhusband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Eric Carles' illustrations. I'll have to remember these for the littles I know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I have a similar pjs situation at home with F. :-) And I LOVE these cards. Want them, want them, want them! Doesn't this best lady gives the best presents? Also, F is very into cats now and so she stops to give the one you sent us a squeeze quite often. Thought you'd like to know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie-Eve, if you find these cards in a bilingual version somewhere, can you tell me?

      Delete
    2. Marie-Eve, if you find these cards in a bilingual version somewhere, can you tell me?

      Delete
  8. i have a question: do W + P share all their clothes, or do they each have items of their own??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like Eric Carle's illustrations - glad to see your daughters do too (I have a set of Charley Harper flashcards that I love but secretly fear are more for me than the kiddo).

    (I like the pink PJs too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. And someone's getting curls....

    ReplyDelete
  11. cheech's favorite toys include empty egg cartons, cotton balls, dictionaries (specifically) for shredding into tiny pieces of paper, and my new handbag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i feel like cheech and steve would get along really well.

      hello A and E! pink in secret's quite fine.

      Delete
  12. eating something is totally an awesome expression of love. go girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are adorable and I love that they ate the rooster. If I had it to do all over again, I think I would eat more things that I love, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are gorgeous. I love the rug, and I love that they ate the rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if I had girls I wouldn't dress them in pink either.
    We have that rug! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.