Monday, December 10, 2012

Inevitable.




I forgot to allocate time for the most fun part of moving house in The Plan: arguing over what makes the cut if it doesn't all fit in the van. Every time.

Sample conversation:

N: We have too much stuff. Can we throw out our pans? I hate them, I want ones with smaller handles.
C: You want us to move into a new house with no pans?
N: we'll get new ones.
C: No. You don't throw out pans UNTIL you have new ones. 

Conversation we haven't had yet but I know is coming:

N: can I throw out that huge pink lampshade?
C: no, I love it.
N: But it takes up loads of room, doesn't fit in any boxes and is too big for the new house.
C: NO I LOVE IT. 

Every time.


*Ghose house, by Jin Otagiri. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is what our house would look like if Nye was in charge. Except there would be a mountain bike and some really big speakers. 

7 comments:

  1. Hahahahhaahaha
    So true.
    Mark calls everything (cloth cats, pillows, the christmas tree, vases) -JUNK-
    and I think that if he was in charge that´s how our place would look. With the speakers too and accents of gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once, newly married we moved into a new house, in the time it took Mark to set up the music ( he must have amp, turntable etc) I unpacked two whole rooms. In the resultant discussion he told me that if we had music we would work better! ? That was about 20 years ago and I am still not over it. Never happened again though! Good luck with your move. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, that is exactly what my fiance did. It's amazing how he got away with it, but he did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Nye - every time I move I feel an incredible urge just to get rid of EVERYthing so we don't need to pack / unpack it.

    (I'm actually far worse at unpacking than packing - I will live with cardboard boxes for *months* rather than unpack once the shiny new home feeling is gone)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I feel your pain. We have moved twice and on both occasiosn have transported boxes of rocks and wood (his) which are never opened between moves. And yet. My frying pan / dustbin / other essential item is 'rubbish, we don't need it'. Fun times.

    Good luck with the littles on the plane. I have no children so cannot recommend distractions. I'd go with getting drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After last time, I said I would never move again - we still have boxes unpacked in the garage...5 years later!!!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.