Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Leonard.


Untitled



Nye's Poppa died last week. His funeral is today. The girls are poorly and irascible so they and I stayed at home while Nye flew up to Edinburgh to say goodbye one last time.

I didn't meet Leonard until he was 89, already older than most people ever get. He would have been 98 this year. He had a lot of stories to tell, about his childhood in Liverpool, his sporting prowess, his days during the second world war ('the best days of my life') to his years with Lillian in Kenya, Libya, Greece, England. All of his stories ended with 'I've had a remarkable life, I've had a good life', and surely that's the only ending any of us can hope for? 






13 comments:

  1. Sorry for your loss. But as you say, it seems that he had a good life and what a fantastic age! My thoughts are with you all x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos to remember him by

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to hear he has died - what a beautiful way to remember him though x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and Nye. Hugs. He is for sure in a better place now, and like you say, a life well lived is what we all hope for.
    (May I say those photos are beautiful. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandpas are special. I'm sorry to hear that he has gone, but I'm so glad you got to know him for as long as you did. Hugs to Nye and to you. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful photos and really beautiful words.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for your loss. And that last photo is incandescent. I hope it stands the girls in good stead over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow-what a full life he seems to have led. I bet his stories were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Poppas are the best, and Nye's poppa sounds like he was an incredible man (and those photos... BEAUTIFUL). Sending good thoughts to you, Nye, the girls, Lillian, and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't realised until now that your photo business was named after Nye's grandparents. I'm sorry to hear you've lost such a big part of your lives. He has good words to be remembered by, indeed those are words we could all strive to be able to say. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about this loss. Those are such sweet photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read your blog for years, but never commented before. What a beautiful, moving post. Thinking of you all during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful eulogy, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.