Tuesday, April 09, 2013

London, a weekend.

Continuing the series; London things what I have done since moving to London. I'm going to start with this weekend and work back, so I've got something to write about another day.  The London Things series going to slow down a little as I make a conscientious effort to stop panicking about doing ALL THE THINGS straight away. I think I've been having a little trouble coming to terms with the notion that this London lark is a long term project, that it's not a holiday and I don't have to fit ALL THE THINGS in before someone makes me go home. This is home. Mindblowing.

So I'm trying to slow down, to once again practise being and not doing. Wish me luck.

In the meantime, here are some London Things we did this weekend, while my girl Sophie was visiting.





Columbia Road Flower Market. It's true what they say: GET THERE EARLY. Especially if you're going with toddlers, animals or people who get angry in crowds (me). We went this weekend with Sophie, she had a professional interest, we just wanted stuff for the garden. And stuff for the garden we did buy. We got there at 8.10am, it opens at 8am, and it was already getting busy. By the time we left at 10am I was on the verge of some sort of breakdown, in fact I nearly punched a tiny Japanese tourist because she kept stopping right in front of me in shop doorways to take pictures of the shops before she went inside. I didn't punch her, I just muttered 'for fuck sake' very loudly, multiple times. You can't get arrested for that. Overwhelming business aside, it was pretty amazing. 

We set ourselves a budget of £20 each to buy whatever we wanted (but no more fruit trees for Nye, not one single one.) and it was a good thing because otherwise we could have spent a lot of money that we didn't have. I bought: a pale pink astilbe (£5), a foxglove (£2.50), a delphinium (£2.50) a small eucalyptus (£4), a tray of pale pink tulips (£5) and a small metal bird (£2.50. I went over-budget) because he felt nice in my hand and a bird in the hand is worth two punches in the face of annoying tourists. Nye got totally overwhelmed and spent a tenner on two white Hellebores and three little pots of herbs before joining the rest of us in a cafe and muttering 'it's all too much'. There is a pretty good selection of plants but it's all a bit random and not much good if you're looking for a particular variety or species. It also helps to know a bit about plants before you start, lest you come home with a tiny £4 eucalyptus to discover that actually, it grows to 80ft. We nearly spent £15 on a beautiful contorted willow which would have looked lovely in our garden, but a quick iphone google came up with the warning; 'only plant in wide open spaces, this tree gets big.' Which is a bugger, because it was gorgeous. 

The cut flowers are of course beautiful, plentiful and cheap. But as I have a big ole bunch of supermarket daffodils on the go at the moment I couldn't bring myself to buy something that wasn't growing. 

Notes:

sorry to the woman who jumped out of her skin when I squealed 'PEONEEEEEEEEZ!' at a ridiculous pitch. 

hello to the woman with the spaniel who recognised W&P. 

If you spot a hummingbird in London don't make a tit of yourself following it around the market saying loudly 'look! A hummingbird!'. You don't get hummingbirds in Europe, it's just a dirty great moth. 


Sophie and I spent Saturday alone in Central London with absolutely no toddlers, it was bliss. We started at the V&A where we took in the jewellery collection (holy hell, SPARKLES!) and she tut-tutted and Caitlin-Moraned at my wistful sighs of 'I wish I was a princess'. Then we made a swift dash around the fashion department, me lusting after the 20s, Soph after the 60s before departing for lunch. We had planned to stop at Harrods to buy some macarons but in the event we forgot. Turns out neither of us rates macarons that highly when there are burritos and tacos and quesidilas on offer. We went to Wahaca (silly name, patchy service, excellent food) and ate everything. Then doughnuts dipped in chocolate sauce. 

Then we walked down through Soho and Chinatown to Trafalgar Square to take in a little pillow fighting. I say 'little', Trafalgar Square was hoaching with pillow fighters. Soph thought it was excellent, I was completely skeezed out by the feathers everywhere  Don't. Like. Feathers. It was World Pillow Fight Day (that's a thing) and people were really going for it. Nelson kept his back turned throughout, I don't think he approves of that sort of thing. 






17 comments:

  1. Caitlin Moraned is the best new verb I've heard all week.

    We take the opposite approach to Columbia Road: turn up late, feel sorry for sad unwanted nasturtiums, drink beer to recover from the crowds, shout '"lahvley nasturtiums! Five for a pouuuuund!" at each other for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's a tempting tactic too, I do love a bargain. But the risks of me hitting someone are probably higher the later it gets in the day.

      Delete
  2. I have never actually ever been to London and there seems to be so much to do that a weekend probably wouldn't be long enough I am guessing.I love the idea of budgeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's SO much to do in London but a weekend is a nice length of time to do a little bit of London. You just need to pick an area (or two) and plan to come back another time so you don't feel the pressure of everything you're not doing!

      Delete
  3. The giant pillow fight is genius.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it! I bet there was one in Montreal. Also, hi! I missed you! x

      Delete
  4. Heehee! Caitlin Moraned :-) Maybe you shouldn't have introduced that book to me...

    You can be the pwincess, and you can go to the ball. Except the ball has to be Wahaca and you can only go if I'm invited to, and there has to be dancing after.

    Was lovely seeing you, and reading this write up too xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like THE BEST ball. As long as I get to wear the tiara, and the brooches, and the breastplates and ALL the rings.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you thought that about Wahaca. I went there when I was in London last October after all our friends raved on about it (my husband is Mexican) - and I found their service poor too and wondered why they didn't just call it Oaxaca. Also, their tortilla machine was broken, ruling out tacos, quesadillas AND burritos. So we got the mains instead. Which were delicious, but were not a cheesy fried corn thing.

    End Wahaca rant. Am loving your London updates, it's making me (prior)home sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not perfect. I've been to a couple of different branches now and the service has varied from good to awful with the awful one being really awful. However if you bring me freshly fried doughnuts and a bowl of melted chocolate at the end of a meal I can forgive you almost anything.

      (Brits wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce Oaxaca, I certainly didn't. Spelling it phonetically probably cuts out 250 inquiries a day about how to say it.)

      Delete
    2. Hang on - tortilla MACHINE? What happened to hands & tortilla presses? (Or am I expecting too much because I'm from Texas?)

      I'm glad their food is good because I still can't get past the phonetic spelling.

      Delete
  6. Helloooo, I am the woman with the Spaniel!! It was such a moment of delight to observe the (ridiculously gorgeous) W&P in action. Then, of course, I realised I was staring and probably seemed v. odd! Your lovely husband and friend were very kind and polite when I accosted them - I am just sorry I didn't get to meet you and tell you in person what a fan I am of the blog. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm sorry I missed you too! Although honestly, I wasn't at my finest that day.

      Delete
  7. I love your London updates, it makes me think about all the things I really should do and see, including this market! Although my garden is mud and not yet ready for planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go to the market, even if just to buy yourself a bunch of tulips! Or something that's happy in a pot for a while, to encourage you to get planting. Most of our plants are still sitting in pots as the garden's not really anywhere near ready.

      Delete
  8. I love Columbia Road, although I don't think I am going to manage the long public transport trek or the crowds with my little chap.

    Great idea for a series too, I think all too often those of us who live in/near London make the mistake of not making the most of our capital.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pillow fight is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.