Friday, October 25, 2013

fashion, backstage




I don't know if I've ever mentioned that I went to art school planning to study fashion design. I've loved fashion ever since I bought my first copy of Vogue at 15. I was flying home from Paris with my mum and it was the only English magazine in the airport shop. I fell in love. Yet over the next couple of years something changed, big bad things happened in the world and I decided that fashion was frivolous, that there were stories to tell in this world. So I studied photography instead, hoping that maybe I could tell them. People often asked me if I ever fancied combining my two loves and going into fashion photography, but I always said no. Fashion photography as I knew it was about creating stories, not capturing them, and I've never had any desire to create stories. Then someone offered me the opportunity to capture a story, to spend some time behind the scenes at a fashion shoot, photographing the process behind creating those flawless images that you see in magazines and on websites. 

I spent the whole day with a group of amazing women who were working together to create something beautiful and I did that thing I love; capturing moments that individually might not mean a lot but that add up to tell a story that otherwise you might never hear. 

fashion; Teija  
make up; Francesca Martin 
(official) photographer; Zoe Barling 
model; Martina


17 comments:

  1. These are brilliant Cara! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully captured. I love how this seemingly serendipitous moments are created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Cara. I wanted to study fashion too but was told that I should get a proper degree and a job. Hooray to architecture and boo to bossy parents. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you say about creating stories versus capturing stories resonates so much with me, and clarified a lot of how I feel about certain kinds of photography. Your photos are always so beautiful and I find myself returning to them again and again when gathering inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love all of them. you are such a natural storyteller cara x

    ReplyDelete
  6. also the out of focus one with the fire extinguisher, 7th from bottom. i'd have a print of that on my wall. gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now covet tables full of makeup.

    Ditto on the blur photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The still must tease with the promise of a story the viewer of it itches to be told" Cindy Sherman
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. before i read your post, i thought, 'wow, she's really captured the glamour and beauty in something that normally disgusts me' ... maybe disgusts is too strong a word, but i find that the behind-the-scenes part of fashion photography ugly -- the crusty make-up containers, the pins, the tape, the straps. but these are gorgeous photos, Cara. brava.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these photos. I want to say more but it is clumsy in comparison to your beautiful words that already sum up why I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw such stunning photos! Wish my blog photos were like this
    Lucia's Loves
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont agree with 17 beats. I think pictures are beautiful.
    Keep it going, you are a great photographer.
    You really capt the beauty inside the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You take such phenomenally gorgeous photographs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're killin it, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy the simplicity of the whole stage/setup. The image before the last one is my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.