Monday, January 11, 2016

On January.



It would seem that January is nobody's favourite month but I don't hate it with the passion that many appear to. Yes, it's dark and yes it's long and yes Spring is still so far away and no it doesn't have the sparkling promise of fun and feasting that December does, but it's also quiet, and gentle and if you aren't insane and treating it as a period of abstinence and self-denial after the excesses of Christmas then it's a month ripe for wrapping up in a nest of whatever comforts you and looking after yourself in front of the fire (real or proverbial).




I don't hold with January as a month of self-denial, January is a fine month to do more of what pleases you, not less. No one drops by in January, there are few social engagements, kids go to school and come home again every day of the week (unless you get a storm day, which is more welcome in January than it was in November). January is by and large a month where you are left to your own devices, other people busy with their own recovery from their own Christmasses - be that a recovery of kindness or one of deprivation - and being left to my own devices is pretty much my favourite thing. And then at the end of the month of knitting and resting and drawing and thinking and staring into space I am rewarded with my birthday, which is something that I enjoy more and more every year. Yes, I like January.


At the end of this week I'm going away all by myself, which is also one of my favourite things. I'm going to Glasgow to photograph four families (another of my favourite things) and there is a whole lot that I'm looking forward to about the trip because as much as I love this island, after almost three months I am desperate as fuck to get off it. I'm also desperate to work, to take photos again and be paid for it, to spend time with people who value not just my skills but also their families, their children and the precious fleeting moments of every day family life enough to give me their time and money to capture them.





I think I've mentioned before that I always return from family photo sessions appreciating and loving my own family that little bit more. I'm hoping that doing four sessions over two days will increase and intensify that feeling exponentially because at the moment – I have to admit - I'm not appreciating my family life that much at all. I mean obviouslyofcourseitgoeswithoutsaying that I love and appreciate my husband and my kids and the fact that I have them and that they're all wonderful human beings etc etc etc, but I'm also tired and stretched and frustrated and irritated by being little more than a cook and a cleaner and a referee and a personal assistant in our little set up we have going here.


We're still settling into our new life and Nye and the girls have settled a lot faster than I have. They have their roles and their places and their lives, Nye has a job, the girls have school, they all have friends and colleagues and classmates that they see everyday. I have... the house and the dog and a list of chores. And a whole bunch of niggling ideas and dreams but not quite the gumption to make any of them happen any time soon. It's a process and as I sit at home I'm constantly fiddling with the rubix cube of my world, trying to find a way to make the pieces align but my inability to figure it out is making me royally pissed off and I am looking forward to a few days off, a few days in a world that doesn't need made sense of because it's not my world, I'm just visiting.






Other things I'm looking forward to include coffee from single source beans and an espresso machine, with crema on top and pretension on the side. Leaving the house and walking down the street and seeing other human beings but not knowing a single one of them and not having to stop and talk to any of them one single bit. Walking past those human beings on pavements. (Pavements! There is a pavement on the island, but it's only two feet wide and maybe forty feet long and it doesn't really go anywhere. It's still nice to walk along it though, for the novelty.) Going to the cinema and drinking wine alone in the dark* (there is a cinema that visits the island every few months, it comes in the back of a lorry and parks 10 miles away and I can't drive and we don't have a babysitter and while it's an amazing thing that a cinema comes in the back of a lorry it may be less frustrating if it just didn't come at all.) Friends who I can see on foot, with little notice or planning, in a variety of interesting locations, some of which serve foreign food. Shops, shops full of things I don't want, don't need and can't afford, but shops none the less. Working as a photographer who isn't a wedding photographer that does family photography sometimes but is just a Photographer (who doesn't do weddings so don't ask me). Spending seven hours on the bus, each way. With sandwiches and podcasts and knitting and probably not any books because I get travel sick but also absolutely no one to ask me any questions at all for SEVEN HOURS.


Yes, I like January and I like this trip very much.






*Shitting fuck. I just looked up the listings and the indie cinema near where I'm staying is only showing Star Wars, The Hateful Eight and that Leonardo DiCaprio one. That's a lot of middle aged white men with beards, or Star Wars which I have only ever watched because my kids love it. Do I want to see any of these? Do I? Tell me.





17 comments:

  1. Loved your post! I am about to leave on a three week trip cross country, to leave the snow of the midwest behind and enjoy the sun and warmth of the west coast. I too am trying to find a place in my life that fits and all those half dreamed dreams that I haven't the time or courage to bring to light are haunting me in a day to day life that no longer is who I am. I am encouraged that someone else feels the need to get away, to just be who you are and do the things (small or great...wine in the dark! Yes! Hooray!) that bring you joy and be "off duty" from what others are expecting.
    Anyway, great post! Gorgeous pics, I love the colors and light in the sand dune image of your daughter!
    Enjoy your trip and I look forward to seeing your new family shots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Have a wonderful trip.

      Delete
  2. Agreed! I'm a fan of January as well. When else do we get a month to ourselves?

    Of the three movies, I'd see Star Wars. Surprisingly, not so full of white, bearded men this time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm leaning towards Star Wars too, but I'm also considering getting on the train and going to see Joy at the big crappy cinema in the city centre, I can't decide.

      Delete
  3. Just mind the traffic - once I wasn't off the island for over a year, then went to Edinburgh and forgot that the oncoming cars don't slow down for you...
    But I know where you are coming from with your difficulty finding a role. I struggled with that too at first - everybody slotted nicely into work, school, college, and I was just waiting around for them. I hope you find your rhythm - and enjoy your time in the city xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU WEREN'T OFF THE ISLAND FOR OVER A YEAR?! That gave me the chills. Thank you for the reminder about the traffic, I wasn't that great at traffic even when I lived in the city so god knows how I'll fare now.

      And thank you, I'm sure I'll find my place in time. I'm mostly working on not freaking out about it for now! xx

      Delete
  4. Blinded by the light...

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a photograph there that you need to print and frame so everyone can love it forever more. (I mean there are lots, but one that made me gasp). Also I need to see January this way. I don't hate it. Or deprive myself. But still. I'm not snogging it or anything. But then I can't escape ;)

    Anyway. Go see Star Wars. It's fun and light and has my boyfriend in it. Oscar Issac, in case you forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHICH ONE? You tease.

      We all have our months, I'm sure there are others that do it for you more. And I probably wouldn't be loving it quite as much if I wasn't facing the prospect of a grand escape.

      Star Wars? Really. That's three votes for Star Wars and because I'm lazy and can't be arsed travelling to the big cinema to see something I actually want to see I'll probably do it.

      Delete
  6. I get what you're saying. We moved halfway across the US away from everyone we know for my (now) husband's grad school. So, he settled in very quickly, having classes and seeing the same people everyday. It took me 4 years hopping between different things, but eventually I found a job that I love with people I care about. I totally feel you on feeling like just a chore-do-er trapped in four walls.

    Just wanted to say I get you on the feeling, you're not alone, and best of luck in finding the right fit for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. Thank you for reminding me that I'll get there, I appreciate it. x

      Delete
  7. Seven hours on a bus is hell until you're a parent. Then it's a glorious respite of silence. Personally I'd use it to make lists. Lists of your half dreamed dreams. Then I'd workshop each one. How can I make this work? Once I'd done that I'd use the return trip to focus on the one that makes you feel like you can't breathe deep enough to fill your lungs. Maybe the time away will give you the inspiration to see how it fits together and make it work and figure out what the life you want 'looks like'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. I've blog hopped here. Not sure where I cam from but I'm happy to have arrived. Pleased to meet you. I so enjoyed this post I'm now off to read some of your archive :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have summed up perfectly how I am feeling about my family. The words I've been grasping for and just haven't been able to reach. I keep coming back to the phrase "there's just so much doing to be done" and I'm weary of it. Embracing January and doing more of what you love seems an excellent way to counter the 'doing'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skye O'Neill19/1/16 10:01 am

    Hope you enjoyed your trip! I left my kids (4 and almost 2) with their father for a week in November and did a solo trip back home to Sydney for the first time in 3 years, and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Did they miss me? Not particularly. They were all totally fine. And whereas before having kids, spending 24 hours on a plane was somewhat tedious, this time it felt like being at a spa. One with free movies and alcohol. And then I landed in Sydney and spent time crazily seeing friends and family and going out and swimming ALONE and it was like I got to be my young self again after years of being mum and wife. I can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Star wars was great!
    I LOVED your first paragraph, very inspiring to read when I usually get it in my head that January and February are dull. :) Enjoy the rest of your month!~

    ReplyDelete

play nice.