Thursday, April 14, 2016

Let's go fly a kite.

The wind is as light as it gets in February, a mere 15mph - perfect kite flying weather. That yesterday two kites arrived in the post, completely unexpectedly, is serendipity at its finest.  
My aunt, their great aunt, clicked some buttons in Canada and had them sent to us and we are desperate to see them airborne. Or rather, they are desperate to see them airborne, I am desperate to go to bed as I have had a sort of a head and a sinus and a throat and a muscle thing for a few days and I feel like a bag of cold turd. But the bright blue sky, the glowing grass and the squeals of excitement from my winter-bored children draw me outside and into the red striped, metal framed, finger snapping deck chairs that used to live in my Grandparent's shed and make a once or twice yearly appearance on the lawn when I was a kid. Memories of skin sheared from knuckles turn to warnings that 'If you play with those chairs they will eat your fingers right off'. Sometimes I lie to my children to keep them safe.  
I lean into the taut canvas with a cup of coffee and watch as Nye shows them how to string the kites, where to stand, how to hold firm as he runs across the garden trying to catch the wind.  Huddled in my parka and hat and scarf and gloves and snow boots I shiver in the cut glass air of a February afternoon - watching my family play, listening to the dog go mental for the flying thing she is not allowed to attack and marvelling at the golden light that bathes my world.



13 comments:

  1. introv.butterfly14/4/16 7:33 pm

    This is beautiful: "marvelling at the golden light that bathes my world". Do you mind if I just start collecting random bits of wording from your posts (like this) and keep them on file to read when I, too, need something to marvel at? okthanksbye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is exactly what I dream of someone doing with my words!

      Delete
  2. Stunning! I so rarely comment, but I'm always excited to see a new post in Feedly. Your photos are just full of feeling, and I agree wholeheartedly with introv.butterfly on your words. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Your photos are so peaceful....soft and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's not hard to take good photos in such gorgeous light.

      Delete
  4. Sigh. So preternaturally beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That light! Your words! J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and love. I need to take more photos of Faye. And I really need more golden sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. I have been fairly lax about taking their pictures recently but I enjoy it so much when I do.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.