Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Poetry is....

"...the art of using words charged with their utmost meaning."





"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me I know that is poetry. If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry."


Some days poems are all that speaks to me. Words make no sense except in the fragile order that only a poet can capture. Other days it is pictures that move me, photos that open my eyes and stir my heart. This week I feel drawn to both, to words and to photos, written and captured by people with the kind of talent that I can barely dream of glimpsing, let alone holding. The kind of talent that leaves me empty, deserted of words of my own, my own pictures recoiling with humility.

And so this week I share some of those magical images, those magical streams of worse that inspire me and I will hope that they inspire you too.


words
1. Dana Gioia
2. Emily Dickinson

. photograph by Jaime M

4 comments:

  1. I love that Dickenson bit, and I find it so true. Mostly they are all that speaks to me. Poems, poems, poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful and inspiring post! thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also all about poems at the moment. Have been immersing myself in them as I try and find ones I would like read at my wedding ceremony. I must say I'm finding it pretty hard to narrow down my selections at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an amazing idea. I cant wait. I already love all the ones you put up already! you ae inspiring me to dig out my faves... if i post i'll link back!

    ReplyDelete

play nice.