Monday, July 27, 2009

their space

You can keep the news, the sport, the business section and the advice column (ok, I lie. I kind of like the advice column, you can't keep it) my favourite part of the Sunday paper is always the feature showing the private rooms of the talented and the famous.

The studio in which ethereal gowns of breathtaking beauty are designed, the bedroom where the crazy designer of bizarre handbags sleeps, the study where the former poet laureate writes his words, the conservatory where Britain's favourite fabric designer hides with her jasmine plants, the sitting room where the daughter of an icon and oner of a kinky boutique screens films about Burma for her friends and family (can you guess which room this is? Clue: the poet laureate doesn't have a marble cock on his sideboard.)

I love these rooms because they're lived in. Yes, of course they're edited and polished and the mugs housing banana skins and an inch of cold peppermint tea have been removed before the Observer comes to call but there's still something gloriously real about each and every one, wouldn't you agree?*

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh...the bedroom with all the pretty flowers - i dream about these things! such pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the second photo is my favorite. our paper doesn't have a section like that! the closest is the real estate section which i like to read and pretend about the apartments i'd like to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Real and above all not overly curated in their carelessness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam Roddicks living room. Is very nice. Especially the orange telephone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is sam roddick doing in MY living room?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. great pictures! I love that pink rug in the first picture...looks like a room I'd just love to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'll take Alice Temperley's studio. And her nanny. And glamorous career. hee hee...!
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love them too. the picture of the shelves with a suitcase, and Sam Roddicks living room would definately make it into my 'house' sketchbook. yum. I love dark theatrical rooms like that with jumbles of stuff everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hhmm. a reason to read the observer after all!

    we just got white shelves a bit like the bottom photo for our kitchen. not under our sink though...

    definitely need to spend some time making our house better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how much pleasure your eclectic site brings me some mornings. And pleasure every morning. Life should be such.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was totally obsessed by Sam Roddick's living room for about two days after I saw it, gorgeous! Of course, I'd have to add a thick rug (head bumps), a fire guard (burns) and move all the pretty things four feet up but that's not the point. Not the point at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are lovely. If I had to swap rooms with someone, I'd totally trade with Alicia from Posie Gets Cozy! (http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/)

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha! The rooms are my favourite thing in the sunday paper too(along with Mariella's advice)
    So inspiring, I'd take any of those rooms..

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow peonies! and you were asking US for interiors inspiration!!!

    all these rooms are beautiful- honestly my dream rooms! thanks for posting them!nd yes i love the interiors bit. I pretend to read the big political stories for a bit and then straight to the interiors section!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty blog and v fun post - I am so intrigued to see Lauren Child's kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thankyou v much for your message on my blog about my health and garden. Sorry to hear you are missing your grandad too honey. The bunnies say hi,kat x

    ReplyDelete

play nice.