Tuesday, June 08, 2010

clarifications




We're just back from a long weekend Up North where we were visiting my family and helping my mummy move house.

For those who were following my twitter conversation with Lauren about the joys of Countdown, the aforementioned mother would like it noted for the record that when I say:

'every day forever my family have recorded it, watched it before bed & paused it when the letters appear til everyone has a word'*

by 'my family' I mean 'my Grandparents' and that she has never willingly watched an episode of Countdown in her life. She has however, as has every member of our family, watched many hundreds of them unwillingly.

I say 'unwillingly', but I kind of hate and kind of love The Countdown Routine. Yes, it's weird and slightly annoying and no, I would never watch it outwith my Grandparent's house, but it's our weird and slightly annoying thing. One of those Family Things that makes you want to hide your head under a sofa cushion but you're not sure if it would be so no one can hear you scream or so no one can see you laugh. Every family has one of those, right?


*(thus dragging the already tedious task of watching a Whole Damn Episode to epic proportions)

**said Grandparents and three eldest grandchildren (including one small blond me) circa 1987

17 comments:

  1. so i'm guessing i shouldn't attempt to engage you in a game of online scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Understood. At my house it was discussions involving way too big words, but the same thing, really. But I have to note, you are very very cute AND 1987 did not feel, at the time, like a faded nostalgia. It felt quite modern. Quite with it. It felt as though any commemorative photos would be very high resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my family has many of those. FAR TOO MANY, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fact that your Mum is worried that the blogging world thinks she would have willing participated in said Countdown watching. Family quirks are the best, they make no sense to the outside world but work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blow me down, you were one cute bubby.

    And goodness, YES. Every family has at least one of those. At the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mum is hilarious. And that photo is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not since Mr Whiteley departed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firstly, I *love* that photo, why do old family snaps seem so more evocative and natural than digital photos?!

    Secondly, I love your Countdown (non-willing) tradition. It's these little things that make a life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @esb: a game show. pardon, THE game show. we watched it willingly every day. (also, fifteen-to-one is off the air? is nothing sacred?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's the clock; that damn Countdown clock - diddely, diddely, diddely, dum, dum. Hiding in an upstairs bedroom, under a quilt, with industrial earplugs and three pillows, one can still hear it. AARRGGHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have photos just like that too. Something so lovely about old film.

    We have word game equivalent traditions, which Husband hates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. the more you write, the more I adore you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little you looks just LIKE you. Only littler. And little-ier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute are you?!

    And your mum, she's kinda cute too with her corrections. Adorable family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this picture is so lovely:)

    ReplyDelete

play nice.