Wednesday, August 04, 2010

My Maw



I would like you to meet my Mum. That's her there. And me. She's prolly 24, I'm prolly, um, a few months? This is my favourite picture of us.

My Mum's a clever lady. She's a lawyer. Actually, she's a solicitor but a lot of you are international types and if I introduce her as a solicitor a lot of y'all are going to get the wrong idea. But that's what she is.

She's also a brave lady. She doesn't buy and sell houses or write up contracts or advise companies about how they can do bad things without actually breaking the law. (Not that lawyers do that, ever. Terribly noble profession don't you know.)

She represents people who can't afford representation. Sometimes that means she represents someone who is getting divorced or someone who hasn't paid their mortgage for a million months and wants to arrange some shady deal with 'a businessman from Down South'. But a lot of the time it means she represents people in horrible, desperate situations, people with stories that would make you feel kind of ill inside. Stories that would once you got home in the evening to what was supposed to be your time away from such things, would make you worry and fret and cry. And she puts her all into it. She puts her heart and her time and her love into it.

And she does this every. damn. day.
And I'm proud of her.
So very, very proud of her.


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful post x

    http://heavywords-lightlythrown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant photo...I have the urge to rummage through family albums now. I love mothers who are also heroes/heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I actually passed the bar, I hope to be like her one day!

    But in the defense of the "bad" lawyers, your highest duty is to your client. Your duty to your client is sometimes considered above the law, depending on the law. So even though they seem bad, those lawyers are also good. Plus, one of the biggest tenants of being a lawyer is that all are entitled to avail themselves of the legal system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what can I say? Thank you so so much for this wonderful lovely post. It makes this afternon's job much easier to do, even if I get shouted at by the Sheriff for being a numpty xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. maw has the cutest bangs.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky mama to have such a tribute from such a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's fantastic.

    Your mum sounds pretty amazing. If I were a lawyer/solicitor, that's the kind I'd want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you, Peonies mum! She looks so hot and that picture is truly the best. Ditto what Clare said.

    She seems like an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not all of us are so courageous, thank goodness there are a few like your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful lady, inside and out it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. P's mum, you're some kind of wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the photo. The resemblance is clear.

    I freaking love you AND your mum!

    (Funny how pregnancy and new motherhood stir up all these thoughts about our mums.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely lovely post.

    what a mum you have too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little late in commenting on all this business, but (1) I love how proud you are of your mum, it always makes me feel glowy inside when you see people appreciate moms in particular, is that terribly cheesy? (2) absolutely your W&P will be proud of you for you being you, and (3) I know this is a happy post, and this last bit references your Scary Post, but can I say your Scary Post scared me too? I have friends on all sides of this conception business (can I make it sound any more distant? sorry!), and selfishly I thought all about myself + how I've been *married 5 years* and I'm still not sure about babies. And I could barely fathom the weight of trying for just about that length of time, and here I am, still not sure where I am. But goodness, Self, that post wasn't about me + my insecurities -- so, I just wanted to throw out my belated support hug, and say that I hope you remember you are Loved here, and your W&P will love you bunches bunches bunches, as does your hubs, and hopefully *that* scares away all of your hesitations. (and I will work on mine). And I, like the others, would like to read whatever + however much you would like to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope that my child(ren) will be as proud of me as you are of your mother ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome woman - much like you.

    xoox,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete

play nice.