Thursday, May 05, 2011

Six months.



Six months old.  Today.  Six months. 

That's half a year.  HALF A YEAR. 

I don't really know how that happened. Much like I don't really know how we had no babies and now we have twins. Life is weird like that. 

There are so many things that I haven't told you yet.  I haven't told you about when they were born, about how I was induced, fell asleep, woke up 8 hours later to pee and discovered I was having a baby RIGHT THEN. How Ella popped out before I'd even realised I was in labour.  How 2 hours and 3 litres of blood (all over the walls) later and with 12 people standing watching, Amelia was encouraged out butt-first. How she was a little floppy and distinctly blue and was sent to live in a plastic tub for 5 days.  How those 5 days that I spent in hospital were the worst ever.

I haven't told you about the seven cirlces of hell that is trying to breastfeed twins or how my bones have changed shape. I haven't told you about how we cope day to day with two babies and one business and how routine is the absolute, unequivicol key. I haven't told you about how Nye does so much more than his fair share and how I haven't had to stay up through the night once since they were 5 days old because my husband decided the day that we got home that that was his job.

I haven't told you about Ella and Amelia.  That they are so very different. That by some twist of fate we have found ourselves with one baby that looks just like me and another that is quite definitely a small Nye creature. That we call them Ellapod and Ammiechoo. That one tries ever so hard at everything, that life seems to come a whole lot easier to the other. That already they are my best people in the world. ever.

But I will.  One day. 
In the meantime, six months.  Thank you for being there.  

* yes, there are a whole lot of shitty camera-phone pictures going on on this blog these days. You're going to have to get over that. I have two babies and no time.
* for those who asked, the photo take with 'polandroid' on the retro camera app. I recently got my first camera phone and I'm So. Effing. Excited by it. I tried a few androidy camera apps and Retro Camera was by far the best one. They are not paying me to say this. But I'm open to gifts. Just saying.

41 comments:

  1. "already they are my best people in the world. ever."

    I just love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on twitter you always make me laugh, and your blog always makes me cry... well not ALways, thought I am often moved to the brink of tears by taxidermy talk. But really though, congratulations, & happy half birthday Amelia & Ella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never stop checking and reading, your updates may be stories of newborn hell but they warm my heart with how much you love your two little ones (your Twitter account helps with that too).

    I have never once stopped loving the way you tell stories and I look forward to hearing more as you slowly gain sanity back

    Thinking of you and N

    ReplyDelete
  4. my lil Clara is now two months...i just blinked and now she's a chubby baby, no longer a skinny newborn.

    i so enjoyed this post. your lil ones are just heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all i can say is that you, N and your little girls are truly amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful (both your words and your girls).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy happy half-birthday! I'm sure those gorgeous babies are only about 5 months old in that photo ... Lovely anyway, and lovely words. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh congratulations to you + Nye love! I've been reading your blog for years now and your progression is so blissfully amazing. Happy 6 months kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. <3 <3 <3 <3

    (One each.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely, your words here. Made me think how being a mama is really, truly, wonderful. Despite all the crappy bits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just cried. I think it's because what you said was so beautiful... or it could be just that I'm sleep deprived and hormonal. Either way, there are tears.

    x claire

    ReplyDelete
  12. you just seem so happy and so blessed, no matter how hard it is. you're inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading these short snippets of life with the twins. The good, the bad, and the amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are so very lovely. thank you for sharing so much with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written. And beautiful little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think the purple goat is for amelia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy half a year birthday!
    Take care xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are a wonderful writer. Your girls are beautiful and full of soul. That Nye stays awake is like icing on the cake. And I know there are many hard bits but being able to always return to how much you love them is the best and only way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just to say, I'm also still here, reading in wonder and amusement the reality of the four of you, and that it kind of 'just happened', as life does. And a tiny little bit of me wonders when will I allow such wonderfulness to 'just happen' to me. You guys are my heroes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah you guys are awesome itself.

    But 3 litres?! *faints, recovers, goes weak at the knees again, faints again, jesus*. Really glad you're still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations to you and Nye! Happy Half-Birthday Ella and Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  23. you and your family are such magical creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love this blurry photo!
    xoxooxoxo to your clan.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cheers to 6 months. You two are amazing and the girls are just so lovely.

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about this post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it. Great post and bring on the shitty camera phone phots. They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love you all. And if it's OK with you, I'm not going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can't wait to hear more about your twins. Do they fight? Do they cuddle? Do they grab each others ears and bite each others noses? You have an adorable family and bravo for six months of making it work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This post was so beautiful. The love, the stories and the two littlies who are so beautiful and wonderful and have two amazing parents. Happy half birthday to them!

    Also wow to you for the birth you hinted at, sounds like an incredible experience and I am so glad everyone came out of it well.

    Looking forward to more blurry phone photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. It was lovely to read more about your baby girls, they're too cute! Happy 6 months to them, and to you and Nye for taking such good care of them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello again :)
    Just a quick thanks for visiting my little blog... I'm not sure what the whole comment & response etiquette is but to answer your question - my girl is 15 weeks... it's amazing how much they change!

    Your girls are adorable at six months... I love that they are distinctly different!

    take care x
    claire

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it, such beautiful writing. And this, 'That one tries ever so hard at everything, that life seems to come a whole lot easier to the other', it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my gosh, this is the first post I've read on your blog, and your babies are BEAUTIFUL! And given the blurry camera phone picture, that's saying something. :) Happy 6 months to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm just at the very beginning of the journey that you've documented your struggle with - and reading your posts inspires me to carry on and fight through it so I get my "best people" at the end of it too.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  36. I don't get much time to comment but I'm am still reading your beautiful words. You reminded me to tell my husband yet again how amazing he too is for doing the nights. Happy six months to all four of you wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You are adorable and an inspiration. I love your blog and look forward to each new post. Always! All the best to you and your wonderful little family. Cheers from a still childless (but trying) in NYC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. dear cuties and mom
    i always love the quality of the photos
    could please share some details concerning effects; like if you use applications if it's a case of phone pic or what effects do you add usually;
    ythanx so much

    ReplyDelete
  39. this is the sweetest post ever, made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I am so happy to find you little internet space. It is lovely x

    ReplyDelete

play nice.