Friday, July 22, 2011

prettiness.


 You Don't Have to Be Pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female".   
Erin, at A Dress A Day.   
I thoroughly recommend reading the rest of the post, especially if you've ever felt that you shouldn't wear something because you're too old/skinny/fat whatever. 

* via Zoe, on pinterestI 'liked' it, I commented on it, I repinned it, but it just wasn't enough.   
* image of Diana Vreeland by Andy Warhol, 1980

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I liked it a lot.
    It'll be one of those things I'll reiterate to a daughter or granddaughter of mine when she's moaning about the way she looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post is utterly brilliant. I may have to print it out and stick it on my wardrobe door.

    In a vaguely related note, have you seen that Advanced Style blog that everyone has been raving about? It's basically the Sartorialist, but instead of leggy ingénues it's full of rad old ladies. You might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the link. Indeed I like even more that it's ok to try and be pretty and still believe in feminism.

    Oh and Kirsty I now have my new favourite site. Those ladies are beyond fabulous. My Mamgu would have graced those pages. She was exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you do need to be smart though. PLEASE, PEOPLE, BE SMART.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the other day, would I have chosen to be prettier or smarter, over the years. Smarter left prettier in the dust. This post is as brilliant for those who fit the pretty parameters as for those who don't. If not more so. How you look belongs to you, and it should profit only you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes. but. LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Random question~ why does your blog say "peonies and polarbears" just wondering....

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT post! I just needed it, it came right on time! thanks ;) Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the HELL out of this

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this. Especially when I am feeling decidedly not pretty.

    A woman of a certain age called me a woodland fairy today and that might have made my day.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.