Sunday, July 17, 2011

sunday morning






It's Sunday morning and the babies will not sleep. There's been a lot of that going on. There's also been a lot of not eating and not smiling going on.  Instead we are mostly concentrating on frowning, grumbling and being unwell.   And yet they are still the most adorable, the most wonderful ever.   

 

Amelia mastered rolling some time ago and is now expending all of her energy (and I mean all of it) on learning to crawl. For a couple of weeks now she has been getting herself up onto her hands and knees and rocking back and forth. For the first 5 minutes she frowns and blows raspberries. I like to think that this is her concentration noise and that throughout her life, when she is focussing most intently on something - exams, driving tests, maths - she will frown and blow raspberries. Then her little arms get tired, her head droops to the ground and she continues to rock back and forth, resting on her forehead instead of her hands, frowning and grumbling, before the grumbles turn into the most disgruntled of yells. And yet she doesn't give up, my little trier. She gets up and does it again. And again and again and again. I love and adore and admire and am awed by her persistence and simultaneously I long for her to get there, to learn to move one hand then the other, one knee then the next without falling smack onto her face and adding another small bruise to the collection on her forehead, and ache just thinking about the day when this phase is over, when she is one step closer to not needing us to help her.   

Meanwhile Ella watches, with a small bemused smile. Ella sits. Sometimes she sways back and forth, sometimes she shakes her head madly from side to side as if to see if it's still attached but mostly she reaches out and touches, with one tentative finger, whatever is around her in each direction. Chases small pieces of lint across the floor with her index finger, reaches with precision for whatever she wants, stopping when she realises it's out of reach, rarely if ever losing her balance. Occasionally a gleeful giggle, usually at Ammie's grunting efforts, punctures the air.  Yesterday I left them on the playmat for 5 minutes while I went and made a coffee. When I came back Ella was 5 feet from where I'd left her, still sitting upright, gnawing on a cable tidy. For a few days before that she had been showing signs of wanting to be somewhere that she wasn't, of looking around, spotting something good and thinking 'yes, not only do I want that cable tidy, I want to be where that cable tidy is' but showing no signs of trying to get there, absolutely no desire to get down on her hands and knees and crawl. And yet yesterday she moved 5 whole feet, on her bum, without toppling. I'm pretty sure that while Amelia has been working on crawling, Ella has been formulating a plan, rocking back and forth testing her balance, figuring out how to move with as much ease as possible, without breaking a sweat. Nye and I just sit, watching in wonder, knowing that throughout her life Ella is going to continue to astound and surprise us. 

23 comments:

  1. Your babies are so cute.. It must be a joy to have them in your life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful little people starting to make their way in the world. This is the hardest time, the frustration of wanting to get somewhere but not being able to do it!

    Finn used to do this BIZARRE cross between a bum shuffle and a crawl. He looked maimed, we'd get pitying looks from anyone who witnessed him doing it in public. So we started calling him our "little land mine baby". I know, we're awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh they are adorable, such an exciting time too. My youngest never crawled and used to speed about lolopping on her bottom as fast as lightening. My eldest never moved on from the comando crawl either- they all learn to get about in their own way. Nothing will be safe now! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love your descriptions. Impressive how each of them has their own particular personality already now, and how they make little and great discoveries. So exciting. Sending love, hope they will be a bit tired soon and sleep and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that picture of Ella is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous wee poppets, and you write so beautifully about them. Hope they start letting you sleep soon (don't they know sleep is the BEST?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bits of their personhood emerge like rocks in the ride, right? Sometimes you can't tell for a long time what's seaweed, what a seal, and what a rock. So you float lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful, lady. As are they. As are you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the photos. SO perfectly captured. And the one of Ella, particularly, is amazingly good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bum shuffled till 16 months (my mum cried for 4 of them thinking there was something wrong with me) until I decided that wasn't fast enough, and stood up and walked. I suppose it's a case of 'it's the journey, its the destination' but in baby form!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sweet... the babies are getting cuter and cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those two little bottom teeth!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so blessed to have two! Your heart must feel like it will bust open with all the love you are packing in there for those girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how determined Amelia looks in this photo and Ella, well that photo is just beautiful.

    I bypassed crawling and just decided that rolling was an easier way of getting around. I suspect the lack of interest in learning how to co-ordinate my movements has something to do with my clumsiness now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wasn't sure where else to ask you this, so I thought I'd just stick it here. My fiance and I are coming to Scotland for our honeymoon and I wondered if you had any lovely advice for a couple of lovely newlywed Americans who want to stay in a cool place and do cool things and pretty much have the best time of their lives. help please?

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a (fraternal) twin, I completely recognise all of your comments about your babies...my sister and I were exactly the same! It makes me smile to think of how much fun they'll have together - G and I are still best friends and feel so lucky to have this unique bond. Fingers crossed that I have twins!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Peonies and Polarbears?? I like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As always, your words truly brings out bits of life. And the photos... oh my! I mencioned you at my blog, just because it made sence to me as I was talking about happy pictures. And your post about your phone camera thing just amazed me, you being a photographer and all (and a good one!).

    Go check it if you can: http://if-madewithlove.blogspot.com/2011/07/good-memories-dont-need-10-megapixel.html

    Would love to hear your thoughs about. **

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are just the cutest little button monkey babies I have ever seen! Thanks so much for sharing photos and writtings!
    XO
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never met another person who was so good at making other people love their babies. But the way you write about them, I love them so much. You've clearly got to write a book some day. Clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How amazing it must be to see these bits of personality emerging and becoming more concrete.

    Love those girls. And that photo of Ammie just made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love how having the two, makes each one's personality so clear in comparison. <3 you inspire me to write more about henry.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.