Sunday, February 12, 2012

mortification.

untitled


A friend of my Mum's on being a solicitor in a small town and being recognised by the opposition out of court: 
"I only got threatening looks once in a bar and I'm still not sure if he recognised me or he just thought I was an ugly wee shite." 
This has started happening to me. Occasionally I notice people staring and I always just gave them a dirty look and muttered 'so what if I have a cheerio stuck to my shoulder, fuck off' under my breath. And then someone pointed out that I have a blog and people read it and there are pictures of me all over it and maybe they recognize me. Well holy crap if that didn't just freak me the hell RIGHT out. (Thanks Lauren)

Sorry if I've ever given you the Look. I'm pretty certain that most if not all of those people were thinking 'girlfriend needs to wash her hair', but just in case.


* owl drawing By Mark.Weaver 

14 comments:

  1. Haha. I once had a message from a stranger saying she'd seen me on a tiny beach in Cornwall last summer and recognised me from my blog- it did freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's when they look and then they smile, and you wonder what you over-shared.....

    And they are wondering why you aren't wearing a striped top and red lipstick, and breezing down the road on your new bicycle, babies in basket.

    Because you are a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee - he didn't really add the last bit about being an ugly wee shite; that was my sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a bit self-deprecating for A!

      Delete
  4. Ha! I saw a lady who's blog I read at a market a little while ago; I have to confess I did have a bit of a stare. Hopefully a non-scary one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cracks me up. I'm not likely to be recognized anywhere for my blog, but sometimes I do see people smiling at me and I glare at them/ignore them until too late, when I realize that they were a great student of mine a few years back. Always makes me feel like a stellar person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! If I where in Scotland I would TOTALLY be looking for you! I sometimes do little double takes in Sydney town thinking, oh that looks like... blogger! *s*

    ReplyDelete
  7. i did see you on the train once but hope I didn't stare too hard and pretty sure you didn't give me the look! Is funny though - you feel like you're seeing someone really famous :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious. I've been told my normal expression comes across as scowling so people are constantly giving me dirty looks because they think I'm giving them one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't trying to freak you out, I was just implying that maybe you had a few stalkers. Nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. is this why there are no photos of you now?....smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. No ... it was a "you look like someone I think I know but I'm not 100% sure - and even if I a, I'm to shit scared to just come straight out and ask - look" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha this made me laugh so much! AND this happens to me allllll the time - people looking at me like they know me. my blog is pretty small so I'm sure it's not because of that! WEIRD xo

    ReplyDelete

play nice.