Monday, April 16, 2012

Edinburgh, November.




Nye: 'Bloody hell, Edinburgh's so cold.' 
Cara: 'Yeah, and the weather sucks too. Badaboom!' 


Every time. (yes, I actually say 'badaboom'. What? I'm cool.) Being rude about Edinburgh and how unfriendly it is (not universally, just mostly) never gets old. But it's okay, I'm allowed to be rude about Edinburgh because truly, deep deep down, I love it. It's my home, the one place that I feel unerringly safe and protected and.... home. I went to primary school and university in Edinburgh, it was the place of my childhood and my first independence and I love it. But it's freezing and when you hold the door open for people they look at you like you're about to steal their handbag. Aside from that, I love it. 
There is a route I used to walk in Edinburgh, from our flat in the south side, when I felt anxious (which was a lot in those days, art school's a bitch) that took me around my favourite places. By the end of the day I was exhausted/calm and ready to go home again. I've been in Glasgow for five years and I've never found anywhere here that does that for me. 
Whenever Nye and I are in Edinburgh I try to arrange it so that we take in one or other of those places. The most child-friendly of them is the National Museum of Scotland. It's somewhere that I've loved since I was little, somewhere I've loved for twenty years, somewhere that I would willingly spend a whole day, just walking and looking and sitting and leave feeling completely relaxed. (Maybe it's all the death? Dead things comfort me. An aside: once the art college took us to the Anatomical Museum at the medical school for a drawing trip. Most people were creeped out by the human heads and stuff but I found it kind of reassuring, like 'look how relaxed they look! One day this shit will be over.' Like I said, art school was a dark time.) It's been almost completely overhauled since my day and for purely sentimental reasons I kind of miss the moth-eaten, Victorian exhibits. The new ones are amazing though, the whole place is beautiful. 
All of that was to say: we went to Edinburgh in November, we took the girls, we went to the museum and some other places I love, it was really nice. We went to the museum again last week, before a wedding we had in Edinburgh, all of our weddings should start with a trip to the museum. 

 

































































36 comments:

  1. amazing pictures.. you have a lovely family...i wish you every happiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new visitor to your blog - wow, great words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am curious. Why do you suppose people in Edinburgh are so suspicious if someone holds the door open? Sorry. I am an American and don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I am curious. Why do you suppose people in Edinburgh are so suspicious if someone holds the door open? Sorry. I am an American and don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just Not Friendly people. They don't trust it when someone else *is* friendly, they must have an ulterior motive, like stealing your handbag.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh Edinburgh how I love thee! Beautiful pixs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I thought the Edinburghers were so friendly when I was there for the Fringe. Maybe that's just in comparison to New York?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's because 0.1% of people in Edinburgh during the Fringe are actual Edinburghers. It's easy to spot us once you know how; we're the ones wearing suits and telling the unsuspecting person trying to promote his "truly original zombie goat comedy act!" to get the f*ck out of our way.

      Delete
    2. What she said. Edinburghers and the Fringe do not go well together. We are the ones stomping behind you and huffing loudly.

      P.s great photos! The wolf - amazing!

      Delete
  7. Oh those last two photos! They look like real little people, and so different. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't tell anyone, but they *are* real little people.

      Delete
  8. Shareeeef don' like it/

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great Blog, and a great talent with the camera. What are you using? We're Nikon D2X folk ourselves. The giraffe is particularly special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these were taking with a canon D50 and 50mm lens. I think.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures actually turned my missing Edinburgh into a small physical pain. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go to Dublin and visit the 'Dead Zoo' if your yearning for moth eaten Victorian taxidermy gets too stron gto resist.
    I just started working in Edinburgh and can see how it could make you feel like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead Zoo? That sounds perfect. And Edinburgh grows on you, it really does. Just avoid Morningside and The Grange like the plague, those places will make you hate humanity with a passion.

      Delete
  13. I'm moving to Edinburgh you know... also look at those eyes. Your girls are the most beautiful. I can't think of anything non-boring to say. suck it esb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. babies babies babies babies

      Delete
    2. Your comments are never boring. And I will never object to anyone telling my my kids are beautiful. FYI.

      Delete
  14. The photo of you with your glasses is perfection. Also, <3 Edinburgh. I need to go again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you don't mind but i'm new to Pinterest and I chose to pin the shot of the Wolves howling. You have such an eye... really you do. It's one thing to know a camera but to know "a frame" - that's a WHOLE other side to art... Thank you humbly. Angy from Australia. PS - I'm sure you've "been pinned" millions of times :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Edinburgh so much. It's just up the road from us, yet we don't get to visit too often. I quite agree, it's always so very cold. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Obvs, your babies are adorbs. But man, your photos. They never stop to do that thing they do to my heartstrings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your photographs are incredible! I've only just found your blog and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went to Edinburgh last summer, and went to Peter's Yard which sneaks into one of your photos up there, and left some written, stamped and addressed postcards in a paper bag on the table there, then left, and didn't remember until I was on the train back to London. But all three reached their destinations. Which was nice.

    (http://www.teacupscupcakes.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/edinburgh.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is nice. Peter's Yard is the best, the other customers are often mean and unfriendly but ohmygod the food.

      Delete
  20. My God.
    You're images are absolutely captivating. Shame. I so wanted to dislike you for being so popular and arty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. Argh you are killing us slowly with those beautiful baby faces.
    2. I so disagree with you about Edinburgh. I moved here a year and a half ago and still find it downright warm and fuzzy compared to where I used to live in London. Though I will say - I've been to Glasgow a few times since I moved here, and wow. Could it be the friendliest big city on earth? Made me feel suspicious of why everyone kept *talking* to me. Maybe I'm already a cold Edinburger.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos as ever. I particularly like the full face of the husky/wolf.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.