Wednesday, October 10, 2012

.

Can you find me soft asylum ?

"I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles. 
A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr. Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug".


I like taxes and I believe in benefits. When people ask us to reduce our prices in exchange for cash payment something dies inside me. If it wasn't for being supported by the benefit system when I was too ill to work, my life would be very very different right now. I'm just guessing, but I'd imagine: no marriage, no babies, no business (with which to pay taxes.)

Needless to say, I love JK Rowling and would like to give her a big kiss, right on the smacker.



*JK Rowling in The Times
*Image by Thomas Krauss



9 comments:

  1. Amen sister. Rowling's a legend for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, I totally agree. Although I would like to point out that, here in the US, I pay cash at local stores to save the merchant the fees associated with using credit cards. If I were to ask for such a discount, I would expect it come from those fees and not from avoiding taxes.

    Thanks for voicing a sentiment that hits home on this side of the lake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Refreshing and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree.

    {blogger ate my (longer) comment}.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this sentiment. I'm also in the US (like Danielle, I agree with her point) and it seems that so few people here appreciate the good that comes from paying taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Ms Rowling. I love her. (I'm afraid to admit that I don't mind paying taxes where I live. I might be skinned alive if too many people found out, since tax-hating is our national sport...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES. Good grief, yes.
    What is society if we don't, in our good times, provide for those in their bad?

    Oddly a lot of my discussions on this are not with Ayn Rand- or Ron Paul-spouting ersatz libertarians, but rather sweet hippy friends who are so disillusioned with the System that they prefer to opt out entirely. (it's a related conversation to the one about state schooling).

    Arseface Cameron doesn't really help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I am another US reader and I am baffled by the fear of taxes on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.