Monday, March 10, 2014

Things, thoughts.


Hello. It is March. I don't know how that happened. I took these photos in January and February, they're all old old old now. I've written three blog posts this year which is a new low. I blame instagram; no one blogs any more, no one hardly even tweets any more. (That was the most hideous sentence I've ever written, I want you to know that I know that.) 


I started a writing class in the hope that it might prompt me to write more, it didn't. I asked Nye for a film camera for my birthday in the hope that it might prompt me to photograph more, it didn't. It did not help that he bought me a film camera but no film. Remember the Christmases when you would get a battery operated toys but no batteries and there were no shops open that sold batteries on Christmas day, so instead of playing with your new toy you spent a lot of the day picking it up and looking at it from different angles, testing the buttons to see if maybe they would do something anyway, trying hard to look grateful for your new - temporarily useless - toy?



It's okay though, my aim for this year was to do not a lot of anything and while that has only really been a success in regards to writing and taking photos (the very things that I was making space in my life to do more of) everything else feels less pressured when my general philosophy is one of Do Very Little and when the work and the meetings and the family commitments are brief interludes to the eating and the sitting and the listening to the radio. 

I'm gradually settling into the weirdness that is W&P being at pre-school and Nye and I having time to ourselves. We are mostly getting on with business in this new way that means we can both work at the same time and that we have to share an office (THE HORROR) but there is also gardening and lunching and childless trips to ikea and Nye preparing to take part in a week long  mountain bike race in the Alps and me preparing to go to New York all by myself in the Autumn. A year ago both being left alone with W&P for a week or leaving N alone with them would have been unthinkable, now it seems eminently doable. I call that progress. 




W&P love pre-school, P bursts through the door in the morning with her arms spread wide and announces to the room "I'M HERE!", W smiles secretively at the end of the day when I ask her what she's done and says nothing. They adore their teachers, one in particular whom P assures me 'does good look aftering'. 

We are lucky that it has worked out so well, we weren't exactly proactive when it came to choosing an educational establishment. Our technique was thus: search nearest pre-schools on google maps, peer through the fence of the closest, see incredibly beautiful outdoor play area, download application forms, leave application forms sitting on desk for three months, send them in in a panic a few days before the deadline. W&P's first day was the first time we had seen further than the front desk and we were prepared to admit that we'd made a stupid, lazy mistake and to start looking for somewhere new. Amazingly, we didn't need to; laziness, last-minute panic and a total lack of research served us pretty well. (Relief sighed)


The thing about sending my children somewhere else for half of the week is that I enjoy the other half that I spend with them so much more. Or I do now that they have settled the fuck down. They were really quite horrible for a few weeks there and I was genuinely worried that pre-school had broken them. They went from enjoying each other's company and disappearing to play together for hours a day to fighting (both physically and verbally) from the second they woke up in the morning until the minute I switched the light off in the evening. The moments that they weren't brawling they spent either shitting in their pants or whining 'what are we going to dooooooooooooooooo mummy?' with absolutely nothing but 'go to nursery' deemed by either of them to be an adequate response. 

They seem to have finally settled to the fact that at home no one is willing to give them a bag of flour, a bowl of water and a wooden spoon, or to let them loose with a litre of green paint and 8 feet of paper. They are accepting that home is boring and that that is okay because in a day or two they will get to go back to that magical place where they can do pretty much whatever the hell they want and someone else will clean up after them. 




I'm trying to be better about playing with them, but the thing is; I don't really like playing. (There, I admitted it. Call social services.) I like watching them play but I do not want to play myself; I want to get shit done or do nothing and three year olds (TWO three year olds) are conducive to neither. Yesterday I let them help me fill up seed trays with compost in preparation for sowing. I gave them a couple of teaspoons and a bag of really expensive seed compost and I only snapped 'stop spilling it on the grass' three times in the space of an hour. Yes, it took an hour. Everything takes 16 times longer than it should when you let three year olds help. The rest of that hour I spent saying in the sort of voice that you would use to talk someone off the ledge of a tall building 'slowly, calmly, gently', ostensibly to W&P but I think everyone knew that I was talking to myself. (Apropos).  I find myself appreciating my own mother and the hours that she spent sitting on a bench in the play park or traipsing around the Museum of Scotland behind me. She hated both the play park and the museum but significant portions of my childhood memories take place in one or the other and I don't remember her complaining until I was old enough for the appeal of both to have worn off. Cheers mum. 




As deeply boring as I find 'play', I love spending time with W&P reading and chatting. Those kids crack me up and my mother in law confirms my suspicion that they are in fact significantly funnier than most children. I have no particular feelings beyond wonder about their intelligence, beauty or developmental pace but my pride in their sense of humour goes for miles. I couldn't have had un-funny children, it just wouldn't have done.

I'm sure that there were other things I've been meaning to write here. At least once a day I compose a new and different blog post in my head. Sadly thinking about doing things isn't the same as actually doing them. This is a notion that I struggle with a lot; I am only just recently, after two years of gym-going, accepting that thinking about running does not have the same physiological benefits as actually running.  Similarly; knitting, writing, blogging, conversing with people. It's really quite unfair.

For now though, I'm off to pick up W&P. Every time I want to burst through the door, throw my arms wide and yell "I'M HERE!", just to see what it feels like. But I cannot conceive of a world in which I have the sense of presence, confidence and abandon that my three year old does. 


26 comments:

  1. Oh I've missed your writings. So beautiful. And NEW YORK! Tell me more. Hopefully it will have defrosted by then, this winter seems to never end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, NEW YORK BABY! One week in October, photographing a wedding, all by myself.

      Delete
  2. Dammit, you blogged. I was feeling good about my lack of blogging because at least I was blogging more than you, even if it was only three or four words at a time. Then you go and post this. Damn you.

    You and Nye are my parenting heroes, FYI. Also, your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahaha! (I'm glad my crappiness made you feel better though, glad to know it's good for something.)

      Delete
  3. YOU'RE HERE! HERE YOU ARE! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I'm not really good at the playing stuff. I think I played a game once where all their stuffed animals were a school and the snowy owl was the head teacher and he had to go and do a poo and THEY HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN IT. Job done as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. As long as your kids have one memory of you playing with them then I think you've won at parenting.

      Delete
  5. I knew you'd understand one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just need to wait for W&P to understand.

      Delete
  6. Oh I am so happy to read your beautiful words again. When did you start reading to W and P??? For now I am struggling to make her sleep, and I'm thinking I might need a copy of that book (go the f**** to sleep, as narrated by Samuel L Jackson). But then I think hey if she is awake maybe I should be playing / reading / interacting with her. Except when she is awake she seems to have some kind of discomfort (like air stuck inside her after minutes of rubbing her back).
    I do love when she crawls like a little frog in my chest.
    They are so cute. I second Kirsty, you are parenting heroes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that we started reading to them until they were about a year old, whenever it was that they would actually sit still and listen. It was something else I felt guilty about, along with not showing them flashcards of high-contrast images, taken them to Sing and Sign, playing them classical music etc etc. All the things that you're supposed to do if you don't want your kid to be a dud.

      Delete
  7. Hello? Hello! (the Internet still exists and better yet you still exist on it? Excellent.)
    So glad your pre-school strategy has worked out so well - we recently had some fun freaking the fuck out about primary schools in our area, PA entered a dark spiral of Dawkinsesque militant railing against the tyranny of the Church and we started researching a move to Rome (on the basis of the food and that even if the schools are shit G ought to be able to distract people on our return with his Italian language skills?)

    Play is hard. Especially the imaginative role playing type. (please try to imagine the narrative depths plumbed as I attempt the role of Benjamin Bunny to G's Peter Rabbit, before coffee in the morning. It is not good.) But I hold that idle parenting manifesto you posted way back ages ago close to me (mainly as I watch G sitting in the mud, talking to a stick as he 'bakes') so I thank yiu for that.

    Also, your garden looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barely, I barely still exist on the internet.

      You want to move to Rome to escape the tyranny of the church? Interesting.

      And your attempts at play beat mine with a stick.

      Delete
  8. As with most of your posts, there is so much I love here about parenting (and honesty about parenting), and the joy of doing nothing (and the stress of doing nothing!) and generally just being gentle with yourself...
    I also love the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister and I both hate playing. So we would always try to set up games with our kids in which we played the person who was sleeping. Or dead;). I love that dandelion fluff hair, BTW, and I imagine I am not the only one. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm glad you hated playing too. Your kids seem to have turned out pretty good.

      Delete
  10. I have missed your posts. I am delighted that you hate playing too, I don't know what to do with my godson let alone any children we may end up having. Garden is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's coming along. And play is clearly over-rated.

      Delete
  11. Hello,

    I'm a mom of a three-year-old boy and one-year-old boy and girl twins. I'm a lurker on your site and come here for inspiration and assurance that yes, you can survive twins and they do grow up. I appreciate your parenting honesty. I live in Finland where Thou Shalt Go Outside and Play With Thy Children every freaking day, -30 or +30 and I absolutely HATE it.

    Keep up the beautiful posts, there are people out here who appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus christ, with a three-year-old and one-year-old twins you should get a prize if you're still sober at midday.

      Delete
  12. Playing with my daughter involved:
    1. playing doctor -- I lay on the sofa as a patient.
    2. playing mountain. I lay face down on the sofa and she drove her toy cars over my back
    3. playing bumpy roads. I took off my shirt, gave her a pack of markers and allowed her to draw on my back. She drew roads and hills and flowers and houses. Of course, this involve me lying face down on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted. Those all sound like excellent games.

      Delete
  13. I love the photos of your garden and seeing all that you are growing. Also reading your words.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.