Tuesday, August 12, 2014

our brightest lights



'What platitudes then can we fling along with the listless, insufficient wreaths at the stillness that was once so animated and wired, the silence where the laughter was? That fame and accolades are no defence against mental illness and addiction? That we live in a world that has become so negligent of human values that our brightest lights are extinguishing themselves? That we must be more vigilant, more aware, more grateful, more mindful? That we can’t tarnish this tiny slice of awareness that we share on this sphere amidst the infinite blackness with conflict and hate?'
Russell Brand, on the late, great Robin Williams.*

It was with such sadness that I took in the news this morning that Robin Williams had committed suicide. I can't think of a single actor that brought me more joy as a child, who starred in films that moved me as much as Good Will Hunting or Dead Poet's Society in my adolescence. (Or creeped me out as much as that one about the guy working in the photo lab, but I prefer not to think too hard about that one.) 

In lieu of words of my own I ask you to read the above Guardian piece by Russel Brand. It's everything I wish I was capable of writing. I also ask that if you are suffering... please hold on. Please tell someone. Please.


* It still confuses me that Russell Brand is one of the most eloquent, moving voices of our generation. RUSSELL BRAND? The first time I read one of his pieces I thought it was a practical joke. I mean RUSSELL BRAND. Come on.

3 comments:

  1. Well... Pause... deep breath. Ok here goes. When I heard the news I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. I sat down for a while and just slipped off into that realm of foggy memories and past emotions. He really was a crazy rainbow of a man - full spectrum of colour - able to make you cry tears of laughter AND tears of sadness. THAT scene in Good Will Hunting... man oh man.

    ... and I am one of those who told someone. Who's holding on. and it IS true. Things do get better and there is ALWAYS hope.

    Ironically that's what I posted about today because I feel as though that we are all just a few circumstances, addictions, farewells and foibles away from the same place.

    Cara. You may never hear form the person who read this post today and held on - but on their behalf I'll say Thank you.

    Using our voices as anchors and lifelines and for beautiful poetry and humble kindness - it's this kind of stuff that helps people. Really helps people.



    ... oh and ditto twice over on the Russell Brand revelation... the man's a genius.


    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very much the same about Russel Brand. He doesn't do much for me when I see his work although I don't know much of it, but I love his writing. Hard to belive it comes from the same person.

    ReplyDelete

play nice.