Friday, January 29, 2016

Doing, Reading, Listening



WHO RUN THIS MOTHER?
by KARL HOLMQUIST 


  • I went to Glasgow (see last post's Photos From A Bus Window) and I did some actual real photography work. The pictures are of families in the snow and you can see some of them here.

  • I have been listening to Elizabeth Gilbert's podcasts. I thought they would annoy me as her facebook page annoys me (I don't love inspirational quotes) but actually she is wise and funny and there's profanity and advice and listening to her is like listening to your most comforting friend, or a really good therapist. The first episode was her in conversation with a blogger who wanted to write a book (it wasn't me), who thought she would be able to do it once her kids were finally in school (again, not me) but who was stuck and couldn't get going (could have been me, but wasn't). The advice Gilbert gave her was the advice I was looking for last time I talked to someone about my wanting to write and was instead told 'writing is just a hobby for you, stick to what you're good at.' I won't pretend it didn't hurt. But that podcast helped and now I'm writing again and maybe I won't keep writing but I'm going to try because it's not just a hobby, it's something I love and am good at and want to do* 

  • Speaking of facebook and conversation, I started a facebook page for this blog, mostly because I was bored and lonely and hoping some of you might chat to me sometimes about the interesting things that are on the internet that I might post there sometimes. Also because I heard it was a good idea if I wanted to sell a book one day, I'm not going to lie.


  • I read this piece about why young women should have savings, it is literally the only thing I have ever read that has inspired me financially. My grandpa should have told me about a Fuck Off Fund when I was 17 instead of that 'rainy day' crap, it would have been infinitely more effective.


  • Speaking of ma dog, before Christmas I read Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor. It looks and sounds like an animal training book (which is why I bought it) but actually it's more of a brilliant memoir about Karen Pryor's life's work in animal (including human animal) psychology and how when the Man Scientists told her she was wrong and that she didn't have a PhD and she should do things differently and that she wasn't a real scientist anyway, she said 'hmmm, that's interesting' and carried on doing exactly what she did - brilliantly. I loved this book and her publishers need to re-market it as a fascinating, funny, inspiring memoir/popular science book. I'd read it, again. 

  • Finally, do you know this 1970 song by Peggy Seeger? It's bloody brilliant and probably the most feminist thing I've ever heard. I have spent 15 minutes listening to it on repeat for my favourite lyrics but I don't have any because it's all fantastic. Eat your heart out Beyonce.





* It's 'Cara's creative confidence gets kicked but somehow she keeps on trucking' week here on Peonies and Polaroids. Thank you for your comments on that post by the way, they were appreciated and it was valuable to hear that I'm not the only one was was Lost in Indoctrination (phrase coined by Emma in the comments). I'm trying really hard to reply to my comment now, to give them the attention they deserve and to spark some conversation so if you feel like replying to my reply to your reply then have at it.


This postwas practise for making notes and remembering interesting things and sparking conversation, also just blogging, because I'm hoping to do more of that in the future, here and elsewhere. Share your best things from the internet in the comments if you feel like it, I'd love to read them.

18 comments:

  1. Really loved the "Fuck Off Fund" piece and also, that part about you writing again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my best thing from the internet today. So deliciously random.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Rachel and Ross Geller welcomed their second daughter, Corinne, at an abandoned Walmart' HAHAHAHAHA.

      Delete
    2. I found that worryingly upsetting.

      Delete
  3. That Fuck Off Fund essay was amazing. It has inspired me to stop frittering all my personal money on random crap and start accumulating. Because as a 'full-time homemaker' (aka unemployed) it really sucks having nothing that is just mine, not even some dollars. Which is why I keep buying chocolate, because that is one treat I can give myself, but the Fuck Off Fund has inspired me to think in the longer term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really great to hear, well done!

      Delete
  4. Who told you that writing wasn't what you were good at and had they ever read your writing or your blog? Because that is crazy talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't name names, but thanks, both of you x

      Delete
  5. Lisa sent me..........AMID PRIVILEGE.
    How did you pick the outer isles of SCOTLAND?
    I am about ready to depart Facebook..........so will not join you there.I find it all SO Boring!PLus, people tend to post the same photos on Instagram as they do Facebook.But I do have a blog that might make YOU laugh from time to time..............I do not POST often........as it's ALL ABOUT ME and I do not have a whole lot going on right now either!!!
    Lets SUBSCRIBE To each other and see what's in store!!!
    XX TheVINTAGECONTESSA.NET

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Elizabeth, welcome and thank you! I grew up in the Western Isles so after many years in Edinburgh then Glasgow then London and France it has been a homecoming.x

      Delete
  6. Great read Cara, as always. Good luck with the book writing I think you'll do great.
    I'm off to find you on Facebook now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz is awesome and she is a brilliant lecturer at Columbia too. Also - you ARE good at writing, you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've added it to my list. And thank you, I will try to remember that.

      Delete
  8. Have you been into Belgian Waffling blog by Emma Beddington. It's hilarious. She also has a great book list of all the books she's reading, read etc. Also has a memoir coming out in April. Also, I love Katy Boo's blog - Katyboo1...she too is writing a book/s. I love your writing and have added your blog to my 'must reads'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to read her blog many years ago but blog reading has kind of fallen off my radar. Apparently blogs are dead.... *whistles into the wind*

      Delete
    2. (I will try harder to resume blog reading)

      Delete

play nice.